Jackhammer in the crankcase!!!I - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jackhammer in the crankcase!!!I

mjklaser is online now ~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
    New Hampshire Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogparts View Post
    After her accident last August, my wife has decided to ride her own again. We found a "pristine" 2007 1300S, bone stock except for pipes, with only 4200 miles. The bike looks new, and sounded good when we cranked it. It was a little cold natured for about 5 miles, but it hasn't been ran in over a year, so I didn't let that bother me. I bought the bike and brought it home. On the way home I stopped and filled the tank with 100% non-ethanol gas. This was about 4 miles from home. Up until then, other than wanting to stall on takeoff a couple of times at first, the bike ran great. When I got 1/4 mile from the house, I started to hear a definite knocking coming from the engine. It's coming from the front, but I can't tell if it's high (valve knock), or low (rod knock). I put my ear against a long screwdriver in several spots and still can't be sure, but it is loud.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Randy
    One more question on this, I don't think you've stated... is the frequency of the 'knock' regular and repetitive and commensurate/in-sync with engine revolutions? Or is it random/irregular?

SPARKY5151 is offline Senior Member California Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would definitely put about 4 oz. of Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil in the crank case, you might have a lifter stuck on one valves holding it open and as the cam comes up it hits that stuck lifter at the top of it's travel. Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil are great for un sticking parts. Before I put my fathers 75 Galaxie I/O boat back in service (after 20 years sitting in his garage), I put about a quart of Marvel in the oil, ran it for 2 hours at low speeds, out on the water and then changed oil, have not had one problem with that motor now over 100 hours later.

3. Thanksbulldogparts, mjklaser thanked for this post
    bulldogparts is offline Senior Member
    Georgia Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mjklaser View Post
    One more question on this, I don't think you've stated... is the frequency of the 'knock' regular and repetitive and commensurate/in-sync with engine revolutions? Or is it random/irregular?
    Its every stroke. I hope to be able to start,checking it out tomorrow. I've been rebuilding front forks on a Goldwing, and replacing brakes. Those things are a beotch to bleed.......until you follow the directions in the service manual.
    Anyway, all I have left to do on it is replace the fender pieces, and maybe I can get on the X. If not tomorrow, definitely Thursday afternoon. 3 weeks to PCB, and the X still needs tires. I got a lot to get done. Anyone wanna come cut my grass??? ANYONE??

5. Thanksmjklaser thanked for this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Georgia Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well.......got started on figuring it out, then got sideswiped. Started checking the valves and the intakes were too tight, so I started adjusting them. As I was holding the the front intake adjuster and tightening the jam nut, my 4mm wrench broke off. (Didn't realize I was putting THAT much pressure on it.) I probed all around under the valve cover with a magnet epoxied to a copper wire, but couldn't find the piece of wrench. So.....I proceeded to remove the cover to search more thoroughly for it. Got it off, soaked up all of the oil with a rag, and probed some more. Still haven't found the piece of wrench, but I'm satisfied that it popped off and flew out instead of dropping down into the valve cover. Waiting on new sealing washers to put it all back together.
    In the mean time......I've removed the rear tire and sealed the rear spoked rim, and installed Glen's Clutch Pull Relief. I've also ordered new tires, and put in new spark plugs. I decided I'm going to seal the front rim also, and go tubeless up front too. I didn't buy enough sealant to do both at once.
    I did drain the oil and there are no metal shavings in it. That lets me know it hasn't spun a bearing causing the knocking noise. I'm leaning more towards something to do with fuel, or the valves being too tight.
    A little more time will tell.
    Last edited by bulldogparts; 04-16-2017 at 08:14 PM.

8. Thanksmjklaser, Fishingfoolemjak thanked for this post
    Georgia Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got it out back together, but never found the piece of wrench that popped off. I'm confident it's somewhere safe. Adjusted the valves, emptied ALL of the old gas from the tank while I had it off, put in Seafoam and new gas, changed the oil, coolant, and plugs, and now she's purrin like the LIONESS she is!!!
    Just a tiny bit of enrichment to start it cold, use that for about 30 seconds, and then it's purrfect. No knocking yet......I haven't been able to run her down the road and get her hot because I'm putting on new tires, and haven't got them done yet. Saturday will tell the tale. I sure hope all of my optimism pays off. I've spent a good bit of money on everything I've changed out, not to mention my $100/hour labor rate. WOW!!! My wife's gonna owe me BIGTIME!!

10. Thanksmjklaser thanked for this post
    SPARKY5151 is offline Senior Member California Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, the joys of a job well done!!!!!!

12. Thanksmjklaser thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got it out back together, but never found the piece of wrench that popped off. I'm confident it's somewhere safe. Adjusted the valves, emptied ALL of the old gas from the tank while I had it off, put in Seafoam and new gas, changed the oil, coolant, and plugs, and now she's purrin like the LIONESS she is!!!
    Just a tiny bit of enrichment to start it cold, use that for about 30 seconds, and then it's purrfect. No knocking yet......I haven't been able to run her down the road and get her hot because I'm putting on new tires, and haven't got them done yet. Saturday will tell the tale. I sure hope all of my optimism pays off. I've spent a good bit of money on everything I've changed out, not to mention my $100/hour labor rate. WOW!!! My wife's gonna owe me BIGTIME!!
    Did you inspect the old plugs? Signs of one or both not firing in one of the cylinders? I still maintain the jackhammer knocking was your running on 1 cylinder or maybe a broken plug... the title of your thread, it would be good to know for 'lessons learned' purposes... thanks... congrats on getting it all fixed up and running nicely!!

Georgia Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mjklaser View Post
    Did you inspect the old plugs? Signs of one or both not firing in one of the cylinders? I still maintain the jackhammer knocking was your running on 1 cylinder or maybe a broken plug... the title of your thread, it would be good to know for 'lessons learned' purposes... thanks... congrats on getting it all fixed up and running nicely!!
    All plugs were black and fouled. They were firing because the engine ran smooth except for the knocking. Like I said, I'm being really optimistic putting a lot of time and new parts on it. I'll take it out on Saturday for 30 or so miles, and then listen to make sure the knock is gone. If it's cleared up, I have no idea what it was. Valves were too tight. Plugs were fouled. Fuel was old. Corrected them all before I ran it again. Other than the valves being too tight, I didn't see anything that could make it run badly. Saturday will tell if I got it fixed.
    Last edited by bulldogparts; 04-21-2017 at 05:31 PM.

15. Thanksmjklaser thanked for this post
    Georgia Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks,like I have to go deeper into the engine. The knock is still there. It's pronounced, and it's constant. I've eliminated bad fuel, plugs, and valve lash. My buddy, who graduated MMI a couple years ago, listened and agrees there is something inside making the noise. We looked through different systems in the manual, and he's suggesting a tensioner. We thought it might be timing, so I checked the ICM with the one on his wife's bike, and no change. Guess it's time for some internal engine learning. Wish me luck.

17. ThanksFRNKCAT, mjklaser thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks,like I have to go deeper into the engine. The knock is still there. It's pronounced, and it's constant. I've eliminated bad fuel, plugs, and valve lash. My buddy, who graduated MMI a couple years ago, listened and agrees there is something inside making the noise. We looked through different systems in the manual, and he's suggesting a tensioner. We thought it might be timing, so I checked the ICM with the one on his wife's bike, and no change. Guess it's time for some internal engine learning. Wish me luck.
    Whoa... sorry to hear!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information