Exhaust leak - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exhaust leak

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't think it matters. More important is the good seal of the gasket material. One way, or the other, it should seal as intended.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seam faces out, away from engine.

Got it back together too late yesterday to ride but sounds better already. Use to pop just before idle after being revved up, not anymore. On to the ground fix.

Quote Originally Posted by PaXman11 View Post
    Don't think it matters. More important is the good seal of the gasket material. One way, or the other, it should seal as intended.

3. ThanksPaXman11, FRNKCAT thanked for this post
    IndyX is online now Fast Red Club Member
    Indiana Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you got it solved.

5. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, but hadn't got to ride yet. I hope it's fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyX View Post
    Glad you got it solved.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I do the ground fix, should I replace the FPR while I have the tank off even tho I'm having no issues with it?

New gaskets 4 sure. Yes the old ones are in there, you need a mechanics pick to dig under them to pull 'em out. If you are re-using the acorn nuts, put a flat washer or 2 under them before torquing down to 17 ft./ lbs. If the flanges are bent or curved, straighten them out first. Aftermarket is thinner than stock. Have you done a ground fix it may help with surging. Keep an eye on your oil level, and smell of same. If any reeking fuel smell, the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) could be getting ready to go bad. The diaphragms on these more frequently are starting to crack from age. This lets fuel leak into the cylinders and into the oil. DO NOT RIDE like this! Change the FPR, change the oil -and- filter, run it around the block, then change the oil again to rid of all contaminants. $40 will get you a new FPR, they're not hard to change. This is a common and getting commoner problem with the ones that have the fuel pump inside the tank, the '02-'03's, and some of the '04's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford View Post
    When I do the ground fix, should I replace the FPR while I have the tank off even tho I'm having no issues with it?
    Thats entirely up to your peace of mind. For $40, is it worth waiting till it gives you problems? Esp. if it was never replaced. When the tank is up or off is the BEST time to do most anything to the bike. How about the 'ground fix'? You could install a quick disconnect to the fuel return line, that little PIA squeeze clamp is garbage. I got my Viton nylon q/d from Aerostich for around $20 more or less. Had it 3 years now, never a leak. Thumb-n-forefinger squeeze gets it off, snap-clicks back on.

SPARKY5151 is offline Senior Member California Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats entirely up to your peace of mind. For $40, is it worth waiting till it gives you problems? Esp. if it was never replaced. When the tank is up or off is the BEST time to do most anything to the bike. How about the 'ground fix'? You could install a quick disconnect to the fuel return line, that little PIA squeeze clamp is garbage. I got my Viton nylon q/d from Aerostich for around $20 more or less. Had it 3 years now, never a leak. Thumb-n-forefinger squeeze gets it off, snap-clicks back on.
    Well, Ya know!!!!!!! ( )

10. ThanksPaXman11 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SPARKY5151 View Post
    Well, Ya know!!!!!!! ( )
    ()

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information