Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Polishing final drive without removing from bike? Tips?

505 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  PaXman11 
#1 ·
Good morning, anyone have any tips for polishing the final drive without removing it or anything else from the bike? I have searched for this and found that it can be done and isn't too hard but did not find a "how to" while still on the bike. The posts are quite a few years old and things can change over time... Maybe someone has a better way or product to use. Any tips would be great, especially from someone who has polished it while on the bike still. Thanks.

#2 ·
The best results are usually achieved by using 5 different grits of wet sandpaper, like 500, 1000. 1500, 2000, 3000 and finish with a power cone or small powerball with White Diamonds. It'll look like chrome. PS the more you polish in future, the brighter it'll get.

Reactions: GatorKev
#3 ·
You mat also want to paper off other areas of the bike so sanding dust (paint) & polish doesn't end up all over everything else.

Reactions: PaXman11
#4 ·
Thats one reason it's easier to do with the wheel/ tire assembly off the bike. You can lay it on its side and while sanding, just rinse off onto the floor Spray bottle rather than hose. :)bleh:)

#7 ·
:)bleh:)

#6 ·
Thanks for the info. Do I need to/should I strip the coating off of it first? I don't have a bike lift or I would probably take it off first. Maybe I should invest in that first...

#8 ·
Proper tool shopping.......easy excuse! New Harbor Freight circular came yesterday. 3 in there- the basic, like I have, for $89.99. An aluminum one for $159.97. And the bigger, ramp-style lift, for $329.99. You have to start somewhere, and the lift is SOOOO much easier to work on/ store the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.