Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

New to VTX, looking for good community

918 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  SPARKY5151 
#1 ·
Hey ya'll. David from MN here. Just got my first VTX (2002 1800C). I've wanted one for a long while and finally found a good deal on one. Found this place while looking around the internet for a good forum on VTXs that was also a community. Excited to "ride" in!

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum from Virginia I recently picked up an 02 1800C myself so welcome to the club. Lots of great info on here & great people/help with anything you need. The down side is all the things/mods you can do to them, you want to do them all at once! Again welcome.

#4 ·
Welcome from the mountains of western NC!!!!

#5 ·
Use the search bar at the top of the forum, you'll find more ways to spend money than my wife!!! Truth be told, I spend more than she does... oh well!

#6 ·
Welcome aboard... this is the best one out there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Welcome from somewhere west of Atlanta.

#9 ·
Easy there, big fella. Unless you KNOW the service history of, or have it in writing by the PO, the FIRST and BEST thing you can do is to make it 100% roadworthy and as safe as possible. Fully charge the battery, THEN take it to an automotive parts store that will do a 100 AMP load test. The battery is Critical! Invest in a Battery Tender to keep it juiced after riding and parking it. Check the sidewall 4 digit code for the week & yr. of mfg. REGARDLESS of how much tread, or how they LOOK, if they are more than 4-5 yrs. old, they are getting hard and losing their grip, and beginning dry rot cracking. REPLACE ASAP. Ditto OEM shock bushings. These affect the ride a LOT. ALL FLUIDS need replacing at least every 2-3yrs, as they all draw moisture. Clutch, brake fluid, final drive oil, fork oil. Change coolant also every couple yrs. I just replaced mine w/ Prestone 50/50. 02-03's, and some 04's with the internal tank fuel pump, have problems with the FPR, or fuel pressure regulator. These have a small diaphragm that develops cracks, making it run rough, cutting mileage in half, and a telltale sign is check your oil. If the level is way high or reeks of a fuel smell, it's bad. DO NOT RUN IT! Until you change the FPR (not too hard), the oil, and filter, then run it around the block and change the oil (not filter) again to rid of all contaminants. $40 well spent insurance, even if it's running like a top now. Also check with the PO to see if the 'Ground Fix' has been done. There are how-to's available showing htis, again not hard to do with some emery paper or a cordless drill or Dremel and small wire brush, and some di-electric grease to retard further corrosion. GOOD grounds are also critical to the performance of the 1800. DO ALL THIS, then come back to us, and we'll help you decide how to spend your $$$ to bling her up. Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies.

#14 ·
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Welcome to the Cafe from the sunny Central Valley in California. Enjoy the addiction!!!
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.