Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

TransCanada hiway

1K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Wigit 
#1 ·
HI all..

Heading east from Ca. soon - June 12. Arriving and parking my bike in Princeton, NJ Sunday, June 18, Fathers Day... spending most of the following week with my daughter in NYC. Heading north (by way of the Martin Guitar Museum in Nazareth, Pa.) on June 23. Crossing into Canada and heading west across the TransCan hiway. Tips? Suggestions? Planning on camping each night, might do a motel or two along the way. Any experiences you'd care to share would be appreciated! Hey, if any of ya'll are gonna be traveling the same route at the same time, let's hook up! PM me!

Thanks,
Kim

#5 ·
My first night in Canada will be right in your neck of the woods... probably the Toronto West KOA... any other suggestions for camping in and around Hamilton? Other camping tips as I work my way west? Have you ridden much of the TransCanada?

Thx
KIM

#6 ·
That "Toronto West" KOA is a fair bit West of Toronto. Not far on the highway 401 (20 minutes) but west of Mississauga which is west of Toronto. It's in Campbellville, not much there but a nice quiet rural town just West of millions of people in Mississauga/Toronto. Are you tenting or renting a little cabin? I'm guessing you're tenting; it's the only campsite in the area that I'm aware of.

I haven't ridden much of the Trans Canada highway as the closest it comes to me is about 4 hours north of me. It's the longest national highway in the world at nearly 5000 miles. How far are you planning to travel on it and where are you heading? It's just a big ol highway and pretty much away from major populations but as you can imagine with a road the spans a massive country, you have everything from ocean views to major forests and vast prairie, massive mountain ranges and back to ocean.

Note the 401 and 400 highways in southern ON around Toronto are some of the busiest in North America and have all day rush hours. Try to avoid riding them from 7-9:00 am and 3:00 - 7pm in any direction.

#7 ·
+1 on avoiding the 400 series highways. Besides being crazy busy(stop and go, and lane splitting is illegal), they are FULL of people who text and drive and don't give two sh*ts about bikers. If you must ride on the 401, be very vigilant...stay alert...and assume everyone is out to kill you. I'm not kidding...I wish I was...but it's 100% true.(especially during rush hours) Other than that, have a great time in the Great White North!:icon_mrha

#14 ·
Send me a message when you get there, I live in "The Soo", I can ride a bit north with you if you are leaving here on Sunday. If not I can ride around here for a bit with you and show you some sites. It is a beautiful ride north of here.
Saturday morning out of Hamilton should be ok, I recommend using the 407 toll route to head to the 400, a bit pricey but it flows better than the other routes and this way you avoid 401.

#15 · (Edited)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.