Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

smelling antifreeze

4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  dirtdobber 
#1 ·
i put about 150 miles on the bike yesterday, i have had this bike for a few years now and everyonce in a while i will smell antifreeze like it is leaking, iam not low and i have never been low. the problem is i cannt find anything or anywhere it could be leaking from, so iam wondering do i have a leak or is it possable to smell it without it leaking. thanks for the help :nono:

#3 ·
I had this same issue last spring after sitting in Garage for the winter, I took it to the shop and had them check for a leak, they found none. I lost no fluid and mostly smelled it at lights and stops and when I first took off. I never found anything and it eventually quit doing it.

Good luck let me know if you find out anything. There are like 17 connections and clamps on the cooling system you might want to check them all.

#9 ·
checking the clamps on the hoses are a good idea.
If it is a water pump, just pull the cover below the switch. If it has been leaking there should be stains on the pump from the weep hole.
Are you not changing the coolant as refereed in the manual?
If you are, check all the clamps while your at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.