Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Can't hear fuel pump prime up

24K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  CLBurke 
#1 ·
2005 VTX 1800. When you turn the key on I don't hear the pump prime up. I checked all fuses, I can hear one of the relay's clicking when I turn the key on. I switched both of the relay's and they both click. I am not getting power to the plug under the seat from the pump to the wiring harness. I have a good ground at that point. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Check the kill switch.

With the seat off put your had on the back box that is above the battery. If its working correctly you should feel it click 3-5 seconds after the key is turned on.

I don't have a schematic for the F but honda wiring is pretty similar for most years.
You should have 2 wires going to your fuel pump.
Green--- this is always ground on the bike
Brown--- this is the pump power feed

Now when you turn the key on the pump should cycle for 3-5 seconds so you should see voltage there. If not check your kill switch. It must be in the run position.

If you didn't get any power go to the fuel cut-off relay

check for voltage on the brown wire again when you turn the key on the pump should cycle for 3-5 seconds so you should see voltage there. if there was no power check the brown with a black stripe wire on the fuel cut-off relay the same way. This wire is fed from the ECM. Warning! You need to disconnect the battery before connecting/disconnecting the ECM connectors or you run the risk of frying the ecm.

#12 ·
Check the kill switch.

With the seat off put your had on the back box that is above the battery. If its working correctly you should feel it click 3-5 seconds after the key is turned on.

I don't have a schematic for the F but honda wiring is pretty similar for most years.
You should have 2 wires going to your fuel pump.
Green--- this is always ground on the bike
Brown--- this is the pump power feed

Now when you turn the key on the pump should cycle for 3-5 seconds so you should see voltage there. If not check your kill switch. It must be in the run position.

If you didn't get any power go to the fuel cut-off relay

check for voltage on the brown wire again when you turn the key on the pump should cycle for 3-5 seconds so you should see voltage there. if there was no power check the brown with a black stripe wire on the fuel cut-off relay the same way. This wire is fed from the ECM. Warning! You need to disconnect the battery before connecting/disconnecting the ECM connectors or you run the risk of frying the ecm.
Where is the fuel cut off relay

#4 ·
Yup prob just the kill switch when he turns the key...

#7 ·
Ummm real stupid question...

When the key is on....did you flick your kill switch to on?

#9 ·
Try and jump the pump out. Un hook the plug and go straight to your battery. If it doesn't prime like that then u need a new pump. I changed mine out myself. Little messy with all the gas but didn't want to spend 700 on part and labor. Got a factory pump off a website for 450. Hope this helps
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
im having the same problem but there seems to be nothing on the neutral side of the power the indicator light will not even come on i have it narrowed down to either the ecm or the pump i am going to try the direct wire to the pump and im going to also try a friends ecm off of his bike any other suggestions would be appreciated

#11 ·
I hope you find your answer... but this is an old thread, maybe start a new one and it might get seen more? Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.