Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Changing antifreeze

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Charlie D 
#1 ·
I can't see how to drain the coolant from the system. The only way I see is to remove the lower radiator hose. I can't find much in my shop manual. Any tips or in put is appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
you take off the rear chrome cover where the shifter linkage is and there is the water pump the lower bolt at around 6 oclock comes out and that is the drain (it has a copper washer under the head) open the radiator cap and let her flow.

section 6 page 5 of my downloaded manual.

#3 ·
Thks, Charlie, I saw that in my manual, but didn't think that was it. Will that also drain the reserve tank. Duh, Charlie I just rechecked my manual and low and behold under coolant replacment I didn't see it before. Thks. LOL

#7 ·
I bought some salicate free Prestone from Wat Mart for $8.00 a gal. I haven't had a chance to make the change.

#8 ·
I owe you a beer if you ever get to the East Coast. If that damn bolt was a snake, I'd been dead by now. I looked at that bolt and said that you must be crazy until I could see the small washer. Thank you and my wife thanks you because I can stop all the cussing and screaming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.