Thread: vtx big bore engine

vtx big bore engine

does anyone know of a big bore kit for a 1300c

thank you

sda is offline Senior Member
    Kansas Riders Group
    Oklahoma Riders Group
    i don't maybe stump will

Nope. That was a Co. Designed Performances Inc. which had piston kits and cam kits. But they stopped working on vtx1300's. And are focusing on autos.

Madness_MC is offline Senior Member South Carolina Riders Group
    North Carolina Riders Group
    ajvlh1 -

I've tried with multiple aftermarket manufacturers to generate interest in performance parts for the VTX1300 - to no avail. I can't even get DynaTek interested enough to look at doing R&D to get us an ignition module modifier like what is available for any Road Star (except the Road Star Warrior) on the market. They stated that they would consider the R&D IF I could get 300 "buyers" lined up and committed. In the past year+ I've gotten exactly 60 positive responses to commitment for a Dyna-3000 ignition module for the VTX1300 !!! The X owners are a thrifty bunch and can't see spending around $300 to get a few (many 3-10) HP more out of their scoots - and I'm one on them. However, I'd see it as more of a market break-through if I could have gotten DynaTek - and other VTX1300 owners - interested. Maybe other aftermarket manufacturers would have taken notice and started making more and different parts for our ride of choice.

We've got two (2) major obstacles facing us as far as performance parts for the venerable 1312cc power plant we use for the driving force in our bikes -

1) - They're water-cooled engines. Unlike H-Ds and the Yamaha Road Star and V-Star that are air-cooled and therefore much easier to install a "big bore" kit into. Our VTX1300 (and 1800) engines leave very little room for "punching out the cylinders" because of the water jackets around the cylinder sleeves and cylinder heads. The air/oil cooled motors do not have this major restriction to "growth". Sometimes they can be punched out to as much as " to 3/8" increase in bore diameter for each cylinder !!!
    2) - Most manufacturers (including Honda) really don't take the VTX1300 seriously enough. You look at the custom bike scene and see how many Road Stars, V-Stars, VT750s Aeros and VT1100 Shadows get customized and make it into the likes of V-Twin magazine - there's probably over 100 Yamaha bikes to every ten VT750-1100 customs to every 1 VTX custom that graces those pages !!! There's plenty of shops that customize Honda bikes for individual customers. Unfortunately Honda has no such support program like Star Motorcycles does with Jeff Pelleggi, Britt Motorsports (NC), BMS Cycles (FL) and Baron's Cycle parts. These Custom shops, parts manufacturers and branded motorcycle dealerships have the full support of Star Motorcycles (Yamaha Corp.), because they've taken the initiative to make a few of their bikes stand out from the crowd, with the support of the motorcycle (brand) manufacturer !!! Since Yamaha is interested in providing "performance" and major dress-up parts for their bikes, it's easier for other aftermarket manufacturers to jump on that bandwagon and make money in the "niche market", also. No support by the bike's manufacturer, little-to-no support from the aftermarket - plain and simple !!!

Tha...Tha...Tha...That's all folks !!!!!
    Last edited by Madness_MC; 03-17-2009 at 10:16 AM.

i found one company back they are no longer around
    http://www.v2x.com/maxx121.htm

and thank you for the madness for the write up

jagarcia is offline Let's Get Ready To Rumble Utah Riders Group
    Good post, Mad. I think by-far the important point is that the possible gains are trivial. People do like to save money, too, but look at the toys and decorations on these bikes! If there was a large possible gain, I think you'd see plenty of people going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jagarcia View Post
    Good post, Mad. I think by-far the important point is that the possible gains are trivial. People do like to save money, too, but look at the toys and decorations on these bikes! If there was a large possible gain, I think you'd see plenty of people going for it.
    +1 - And I'd probably be leading the charge.

It's amazing what a difference was gained for my H-D Electra Glide by bumping from 88 to 95 cu.in. and adding a set of mild SE-203 cams (more for torque, than HP). Only 15 HP gain, but nearly 22 ft.lbs. of torque increase over previous mods - Tru-Dual exhaust pipes, SE Touring Performance mufflers and a SE air box and filter.

I think if you did manage to find parts, or a machine shop that knows the engine, you'd be dollars ahead by just finding a used 1800. Seems to be the best viable option. Many people have asked, but no real answer to that question.
    Paul

wonder if i can find a write up on a 1800 engine into a 1300

Quote Originally Posted by ajvlh1 View Post
    wonder if i can find a write up on a 1800 engine into a 1300
    Don't think that you'll find one on this board, but I've been known to be wrong before.

Besides, what would you gain ?? By the time that you got done, you'd have a pile of 1300 parts laying around, including the gas tank and will have only succeeded in satisfying your curiosity. The frame on the 1800 is a bit larger and the front end a bit heavier. You might save 20-25 pounds of weight using the 1300 frame and front end - equal to about 1 HP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information