Pair Valve removal??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pair Valve removal??

Pair Valve removal??

I hear talk about the pair valve is it something that can easily be taken off and what benefits is there doing so?? Thanks

Madness_MC is offline Senior Member South Carolina Riders Group
    North Carolina Riders Group
    First off - it gets a bunch of junk out of your way making other maintenance items (valve adjustment and such) much easier. Other benefits - it helps eliminate "popping" in the aftermarket pipes that you may install or have installed (you will need to richen up your carb mixture a bit), particularly when coupled with the SCAR (carb) mod.

Oh yeah, it also saves about 2 pounds of miscellaneous weight off the bike.

Easily accomplished mod ??? Yeah, but you'll need to either spend $16-25 for the reed valve block-off plates or make them yourself. You'll also need to remove the reed valve from the reed valve holder plate (Dremel works wonders there). The rest is straight-forward pull parts off and cap 1 vacuum tee. Couldn't get much easier.
    Last edited by Madness_MC; 04-13-2009 at 11:55 AM.

thanks

I was looking around in the garage trying to find something to make do with plugging the air box hole. Ends up -- A 357 magnum casing will plug the hole perfectly snug & will be completely out of the way when sliding the other hose on & off... unlike a rubber plug.
    I suppose if your a "real" outlaw (not a wanna-be like me) you can use a live round.

Is there much of a difference if its removed or not?? I have bub pipes and a super charger hell it may already be gone??

From what I been told, there is a better sound with after market pipes. I have modified the stock pipes (clayton mod/deep). I don't know if it made a difference for not on mine. My bike appears to be running really good right now; but I also adjusted my valves (all out of spec) at the same time -- So either one or both tasks has made my X a seemingly happier machine. Below are the directions I used to remove the pair mod. If you buy the bock off plates, it's a very simple task.
    http://myvtx1300.com/

Do it, even if for no other reason than you can. It is a good wrench experience builder. I did mine last Fiday. It took maybe a whole hour. Have the block off plates ordered and in hand when you do it. Go to myvtx1300.com for the best pics and description of the procedure.

Fuman is offline Senior Member
    Indiana Riders Group
    I haven't done it yet, but +3 on www.my1300vtx.com. I spent Friday night looking the site over, so I know what to do when I get my block off plates.

did mine saturday.bike with stock exhaust.a lot more room when i adjust the valves next time,so it will be alot easier.plus that 1/2 " hose that connects to the airbox is gone.

Adjusting valves is tough even with the pair valves/hoses gone. I can't imagine what it would be like if the hoses were still there...I ordered the plates and removed the pair valves shortly after purchasing the VTX in 2005. I installed after market pipes on the new bike and couldn't stand the decel sound with the pair valves in. Really sounded better with them out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information