Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Antifreeze Recommendation?

39K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Skyview 
#1 ·
Looks like mine is low and I was wondering if it makes a difference and if I should buy something like Prestone Xtreme Sport that is made for motorcycles or if I can just use a regular 50/50 mix for cars and be fine. The manual does mention using antifreeze formulated for aluminum engines so I thought I would ask. Thanks.

#4 ·
Two Questions and I know this is gonna make me look dumb but....

Silicate free? Just got my boy a 93 GSXR and changed the coolant (as it sat in someones living room from 96 until 2 days ago). The coolant I used is mixed 50/50 but contains silicate...Should I be concerned?

Second question.... When I went in to buy coolant, many are 5-/50 mix now and say 'DO NOT ADD WATER'. Are these good as is or do I still need to dilute anothr 50/50 with distilled water?

Tx ahead....

#6 ·
do not dilute the 50/50 mixture...good to go where it is at from the jug. i, personally, would redrain and drop the 50/50 mix with the silicate in it. just like the X, the silicate will also damage the seals in the GSXR. just my opinion, but i've also seen it happen first hand to other GSXR bikes in my area.

Reactions: rogergthree
#7 ·
Silicate...Phosphate? I have no idea. I had some regular Prestone left over so I used that with a mix of 50/50 (roughly) with distilled water. I checked on the Prestone bottle and it does not say if it has it or not. Hoping not. Just says ethylene glycol and diethylene glycol. I ended up putting in too much (that's a really small resevoir) and had to siphon a bit back out.

#12 ·
If it does not say silicon free or phosphate free, it's probably not ok. I did a google on prestone and I believe the extended life, dex cool and 50/50 mix is S/P free. If you use the full strength, you must mix with distilled water only.

If I had any doubts, I would flush it out with some distilled water or S/P free coolant and add some fresh antifreeze. Not really a pain to remove your tank and flush your system, but less of a pain than replacing a water pump.

Remove your gas tank, remove the coolant cap, drain your coolant, fill with distilled water or coolant. Replace tank and run for a couple of minutes, drain the water and fill with coolant mix and run again for a couple of minutes, remove tank and top off coolant. You need to burp the system of air. I ran mine for a good five minutes and pulled the tank and checked again. You are suppose to pull the over flow tank and clean it out and fill it up to the mark with mix as well. I had my bike on the stand so it was impossible at the time to do so I just topped it off.

All the procedures are in the sticky thread 1300 manual.

CharlieD and many others say "Whatever you add, read the label."

#14 ·
You can use any anti-freeze that does not contain silicate, which is basically sand. I have used the Dex-cool anti-freeze for over 10 years and 70K miles in my '86 Gold Wing, my wife's '02 Volusia, and since first change with my '05 VTX-R.

Bikes have a mechanical water pump seal that the silica in the green anti-freeze will destroy. The Dex-cool is rated for both aluminum and non-aluminum engines, and does not contain silica.

#15 ·
I went with the peak long life which the website( peak) says is S/P Free!
Just did it this week end not too hard!

#16 ·
Uh oh...I think I better go get some new antifreeze and do a drain then. Good thing I haven't ridden it but once since I put it in. The leftover Prestone that I had does not have anything on the jug saying one way or the other so thanks for the replies and I think I'll go get the 50/50 mix that you talked about and make sure it has it on the jug before I buy it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.