Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Corbin Beetle Bags or Tsakayu Bags? And Why?

34K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  Big Kahuna 
#1 ·
Which bags would you purchase if you had the cash for a 2006 VTX1300S?

Corbin Beetle Bags or Tsukayu Strong Bags with Easy/Ghost Brackets?

#2 ·
The Tsukayu Strongs...they actually have some storage room unlike all the beetle bags I've seen.

Plus you don't have to change the fender out for them...i'd use the Tsukayu Universal mounts...easy brackets hold them too far off the bike and I wouldn't trust them to hold the bag loaded.

#3 ·
Corbin makes their bags out of pure gold...or at least their prices would indicate!
I don't care how much money I have...I'm not paying Corbin prices. No way in he!!

CW

#6 ·
cant speak of those hard bags, but

I have the Leather Lyke bags and have been very pleased with them. Had a set of cheap throw overs after got the bike and they did ok but not enough room. Tried the Saddleman Jumbo Jumbo bags and I hated them, lots of room but they did not look right to me. The Leather Lykes are not massive, but will hold my half helmet and jacket and chaps and that is in one bag, but they are rated not to exced 20lbs each so 40lbs is the limit. Of course they are lockable and rain proof. Come in 2 different styles. But only in black.

#7 ·
I love the beetle bags. It gives the bike a unique look unlike any other. They are quite pricey. I am very pleased with mine.

#8 ·
I looked at both as well, If you are a solo rider either will work, but you ride 2 up the corbin will not unless you by one of there seats as well. The beetle bags fit to close to the fender to put a sissy bar on. BUT corbin sells a 2 up seat with a sissy bar attached to the passenger pillon, ( how nice it is for them to do this) I Don;t know about corbin BUT Tsuyaku bags i ordered on March 31st, and they still have not officially been shipped yet. so be patient

#9 ·
That is incorrect. You do not need to buy a Corbin seat to ride a passenger with beetle bags. Any seat will work fine...including the stock. The backrest will not work, as you stated, because the bags attach to the rails and are molded tightly to the fender.

Corbin is also slow in the order process, but worth the wait.

#16 ·
Tsukayu Strong Bags!!!

Pictures in the hyperlink below and I get more attention for the bags than ANY other mod on my bike...

#17 ·
Just little update called DLP in reference to Tsakayu bags, was told that they should be getting them in the middle of May and they then would be shipped to me. Date has changed four times now,starting to sound like the gas hinges:banghead:.Don't know if I should cancel order and order directly from Tsakayu , if its only a two turn around :hmm2:

#18 ·
Wow, lots of hate for Corbin

I've never had a customer service issue, shipping delay or quality problems with any of my Corbin gear at all.
The styling of the Beetle Bags really mimics the shape and lines of the VTX tank and rear fender like no other.

It is possible to use just about any seat, but the only aftermarket exhaust the looks good with them are Roadhouse slip on's.

My B-Bags, along with my other Corbin gear, was ordered the day after I bought my 03'VTX (late December 03')
...back then Corbin had a pretty good rep and the Beetle Bags ($800 originally)
were actually less $$$ then the local (Canadian) Honda stealer wanted for Honda line leather studded bags/brackets. :hmm2:

I also grabbed an adjustable Trim Tab Fairing for less than a Honda windshield/brackets
and got a matching chin spoiler instead of the Honda Line Shield/Light bar combo.
I ended up with a scoot that stood out because it looked different than 99% of the "typical"
chrome, leather clad, plexi windshield cruisers on the road and as a result
won more than my fair share of 1st place trophies at show&shine events.

I love the Fat Slammed Hot Rod look, like a lowered 49' Merc with skirts

Later this year I plan to swap out the Trim Tab Fairing for a Bat-Wing style
(Likely from Xtreme Revolution) for more wind/rain protection...and some Tunes! :mosh:

If you plan to ride 2Up often, you will want to relocate the passenger pegs forward
...or better yet switch to Rivco's boards with their 3.5" forward offset arm.
I even splurged for the matching drivers boards and brake pedal (Triple plated chrome looks so much better than stocker's)

I never had any problems for 4 years with any of my Corbin products, that is until I got rear ended in May 07'.
Mini-van driven by a senior (that probably shouldnt be driving) rear-ended me while I was stopped at a red light.
I was launched about 15', along with the bike and was lucky enough to have had both hands on the grips at the time so I was able to keep her upright.

...anyway, the bags took the brunt of the hit, along with my rear fender/tire/pipes.
The bags acted like a cars crumple zone and likely saved my back/butt from taking a harder hit. The fiberglass was beyond repair though.

I got my new replacement bags without issue and was happy they turned out as good as my original set
...and that I wasn't paying for them this time around now that prices have doubled. :eek:

If you're creative enough, you can fabricate a quick release sissy bar from a Honda Deluxe backrest
just by spacing the bags out a half an inch or so, and notching the mounting bracket holes into slots...

I prefer my YoungGuns seat, but for longer rides my G/F likes the stocker
So I modified my stock seats for quick off/on using suction cups.
A single knob from Xcessories to remove the YG seat makes it a quick tool-less swap.

If my X had gone down and was a total write off and I had to start over,
...at today's prices?
I'd probably just go buy a HD StreetGlide ;)

I know, I know....:spank:

#20 ·
Bike looks great!!!!!

#23 ·
BigRedSled...."If you're creative enough, you can fabricate a quick release sissy bar from a Honda Deluxe backrest
just by spacing the bags out a half an inch or so, and notching the mounting bracket holes into slots..."

You spaced your beetle bags further and was able to get this bracket on? The spacing didnt affect the look much? Do you have any photos showing this a little closer?

#24 ·
Hope this helps:

The key is to mount the brackets as tight to the fender rail as possible,
this means you don't use the 1/2" spacers that come with the backrest brackets.

The uprights are reversed (swap right for left)
this puts the tabs for the pad nut zerts in better alignment

Stock pad looks like this:

Reversed allows for a tighter fit to the bags

I did a full write-up on the "other" board, but not sure I can link to that here ?

Passenger seat is on suction cups, no hardware

Did the same with my stock drivers seat too, no hardware= no tools required to go from full 2 up, to 1.5 or solo in minutes...

a single knob from X-cessories (now Knobbit.com) holds my Corbin Young Guns seat in place.

I can swap from 2Up tourer to solo in a few minutes now.
I just placed an order for a MS Batwing fairing with quick release to replace my Corbin TrimTab.
Would have done it much sooner, guess I was just waiting for the Canuck buck to be on par with the US$.

It should look similar to this when done, but with a shorter 5" black windshield...

#25 ·
Thanks for the info. You've given me something to work on as I havent been happy with the limited options for backrests. Like you, I'm also putting on a full fairing to work with my memphis shade quick releases as I like to go without a fairing also. Sounds like you have a collection of seats like me...lol. Gotta luv the versatility of a VTX!

#26 ·
Hey guys, guess who's bike is going to have Bettle Bags on shortly. Angel found some on Craigslist and after some communication problems with the seller all I need is a PayPal address to seal the deal. I taled to Bryan and he will paint and install them which will benefit us both in the end. I will be selling my National City bags and hardware after I get them back from Bryan. If you'd like to buy them and you want him to paint them for you get with me and him to see the total cost.

#27 ·
Hehe, yup DJ Dale, lots of seats, but my Corbin YoungGun is my Favorite! and my G/F's least favorite.
I've also got two sets of wheels/tires, lots of mirrors (ebay's my friend) and soon I'll have a two Fairings
...so the Solo rider to 2Up Tourer transition has lots of variables.

It's an expensive toy, but it's still cheaper than having 2 bikes.
I'm still looking into trunk options for extra storage, Currently use a T-Bag for longer trips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.