Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Clutch problem- bike lunges when clutch released

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  The Chief 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a 04 1800c. I have synthitic oil , Barnett springs I replaced 2 yrs ago, along with stock clutch plates. This spring I went for a few rides every once in a while the clutch slips as I ease out the clutch from a light or when I first go out for my ride, its very scary because this can be so random. I have always been able to catch it and pull the clutch back in before it lunges to far forward. When I quickly pull the clutch back in I hear a creaking/groaning type noise from the clutch in the motor. I was thinking of changing out my clutch fluid and motor oil, to start with, but I'm afraid I might have to get back in and change the springs and plates again. Has Anyone seen this type of problem before? Am I going about this the right way?

Thanks Gar:helpsos:

#3 ·
When I quickly pull the clutch back in I hear a creaking/groaning type noise from the clutch
Sounds like something wasn't assembled quite right. I'd flat check the plates for sure.
They sound as if they are warped a little, creating high profile hot points.

If it's parked in gear, and you pull in the clutch, can you easily move the machine with clutch held disengaged?

Those are great views on the link Charlie provided of Bigs mod.

You might want to check the basket with the groves that key in all the steel plates to make sure there are no plates teeth digging into aluminum basket. It's the creaking sound that might be here, or at the actuator.

Almost makes me think the ball is missing like in older applications.
I haven't taken this one apart yet, but I may look into the drawings regardless.

#4 ·
Sounds like something wasn't assembled quite right. I'd flat check the plates for sure.
They sound as if they are warped a little, creating high profile hot points.

If it's parked in gear, and you pull in the clutch, can you easily move the machine with clutch held disengaged?

Those are great views on the link Charlie provided of Bigs mod.

You might want to check the basket with the groves that key in all the steel plates to make sure there are no plates teeth digging into aluminum basket. It's the creaking sound that might be here, or at the actuator.

Almost makes me think the ball is missing like in older applications.
I haven't taken this one apart yet, but I may look into the drawings regardless.
i had this same problem a few years ago on a kawasaki. what amazed me about the whole process of the problem, was it was a combo of all you have just mentioned. was one of the wierdest things i had seen happen in to a clutch in good while. usually, it happens one stage at the time as you have mentioned, but on the normal not all stages at once.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the info I will look into this soon.

Gar

#7 ·
Hmm,, time to go in,,,

I Know of another rider who used Barnett springs/OEM plates/frictions.

Had good luck for years, but found a broken spring when he went in,,,

I'd like to think that I am pretty easy on clutches,,, but, when they start to slip, its time to go in,,,

Running on a slippin clutch always leads to bigger problems,,,

I opted not to drill my basket when I installed my MTC,,,

Not saying it wouldn't help, just saying I opted not to.

#10 ·
Having the same issue with both the vtx 1300 and my vtx1800n happens when the bike is cooler. cold weather happens more often. catches you off guard and lunges forward feels almost like a grinding or binding on left side. Once she warms up, never an issue, beware hopping on the bike on a chilly night and you been at the bar playing pool for a few hours.

#11 ·
Totally Normal as the Oil warms up and lubricates the plates.

Some have changed their oil to Amsoil or Full synthetic with better results and there is also a Clutch basket mod you can do but nothing to worry about - JUST be conscious of it when your bike is cold!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.