Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

vibration

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  RoughRider666 
#1 ·
I've been getting vibration from my handlebars, this didn't seem to be a problem even after I layed it down in the parking lot about a 2 months ago, now it seem to be gradely getting worse, I can't hardly ride an hour or so before my throttle hand goes numb, was wondering if by chance the sterring bearings could have been damaged??? or maybe I just need to do some a/f adjustments :hmm2:

#3 ·
First check your air pressure. 40/40
Then if you are still running the dunnies, the front tire is probably going bad. (I suffered for another couple of thousand miles, then changed to the Metz and put in dyna beads).:mosh:
You may have to change out the steering bearing as well. I have not had to but far too many other 1300 owners have had to. :harder:

Pdave:patriot:

#4 ·
i have alot of vibration too, tire pressure is good, i have dynabeads in my dunflops. all my vibration is from the engine though. when i pull in the clutch and let engine idle at about 60 mph it is smooth as glass, release the clutch and vibration is back.
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
You should check all the things mentioned already, but the numbness from a extended ride is part of it. I use a throttle rocker on the throttle grip. It works great for me. A throttle lock of some kind is perfect for long rides at constant speeds, but if the ride is in a city (Memphis for me) the throttle lock is not useful enough. The throttle rocker lets me use the weight of my hand to twist the throttle as well as hold it in position. Like I said, it works well for me and I have used it for a year.

#8 ·
I started having a vibration at highway speed last summer. With Metzlers and 38-40 lb air pressure. I installed Bar Snake and it seemed to help. But still occasionally it reoccurs but only in warm / hot weather. I am convinced my problem comes from the gas I have in the tank. There is a specification called Reid Vapor Pressure and in the summer it the specification changes from the winter blend. Some refiners have difficulty maintaining the correct summer spec. I try and stay with the major companies BP and Shell. I avoid Marathon (it seems to create the problem) and never Citgo due to them being owned by Venz. Oil co.
I keep a can of SeaFoam in the saddle bag and add it when the vibration shows up and it will go away.

#9 ·
It's the steering head bearing. It's not that you damaged them, it's just that the stock one's suck on the 1300. Get yourself the all balls tapered bearings and you'll be happy as a clam. This is not a guess, this is FACT proven by many a 1300 rider.

#10 ·
Check out changing the head bearings. You may want to look into some progressive springs for the front end while you're at it... Put some real fork oil in & you'll be rock solid...

I did this all this in the winter and added another couple thousand miles to the front dunflop... now its time for me to get a new front tire! ( Close to 11K)

#11 ·
I already have the springs and grips on did that this winter, I've got a pretty good check list now of things to check and maybe try a different brand of gas.

I'm a little mechanically inclined but not sure if it will be enough to change out the steering bearings, may have to look into someone either doing it for me or lending me a helping hand

thanks for the responses

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.