Running too rich?

Thread: Running too rich?

Running too rich?

I ride a 2003 VTX "C" model, while riding to Tombstone AZ today my bike had no power, would surge, and my low fuel light came on after about 50 miles after the last fil up. It seams to be getting too much fuel. Some black smoke is comming out the exhaust and will not stay running without gooseing the throttle, if not it will die. I made it home and now want to know if somebody has had this problem? Thanks, Curtis from Tucson

Did the "no power" condition develop enroute?
    What was the temp/humidity?
    Is your X carbuerated or fuel injected?

IF the problem developed enroute, one possibility is carb or throttle body icing. This happens a lot when the temp is above (but close to freezing), and the humidity gets high (almost foggy). Because the carb or throttle body throats are cold, moist air flowing through the air horn condenses on the metal and you get an ice buildup on the inside of the air horn, resulting in lower airflow "choking" the engine.
    This happened to me a few years back, and you described all the symptoms perfectly. Ride started great, and after a while i was twisting the throttle to stop just to maintain highway speed.
    Managed to limp home, rolled my bike in the garage onto my stand and left it to the next morning to troubleshoot. Next morning, i hit the starter, and it fired up right away, idled a bit wacky for maybe 20 seconds, smoothed out and ran great. i shut 'er down, and pulled the airbox. Once the bike was parked, residual engine heat melted the ice had melted. looking closely, i saw evidence of water trickle in the airbox, and the filter was moist at the bottom. i let the bike idle to warm up the engine real good to (hopefully) evaporate any left over moisture. Never had an problem after that.

Hope this helps

Thumbs up Fouled

Quote Originally Posted by freemancd
    I ride a 2003 VTX "C" model, while riding to Tombstone AZ today my bike had no power, would surge, and my low fuel light came on after about 50 miles after the last fil up. It seams to be getting too much fuel. Some black smoke is comming out the exhaust and will not stay running without gooseing the throttle, if not it will die. I made it home and now want to know if somebody has had this problem? Thanks, Curtis from Tucson
    Probaly the plugs fouled on you 1800. Remove the plugs and see if they are BLACK in color. If so replace them with new plugs. GG

It is a 1800 VTX, the only aftermarket part is a SS looking airbox. The temp was in the 60's to 70's. and low humidity. It is a fuel controled bike. I have had this air box on the bike for a few years and have rode in 30 degree temps with no problems. I did remove the filter afer the ride to see if it was dirty. It was clean and didn't notice any moisture. I will check the plugs and put it back together to ops check. Will post any discrepancies, thanks for all the help!!

Thread Information