Question Memphis Shade VS. National Cycle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memphis Shade VS. National Cycle

snoll63 is offline Verified member
    Arizona Riders Group

Whatever Memphis Shade VS. National Cycle

I am ready to get my first windshield on my 1300R and would like any opinons on which shield MS or NC you prefer and why

Mark in St. Louis is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Riders Group
    I can't speak about the NC shields (although I would't mind a comparison). I have a Memphis Fats 21". I like it, but the buffeting I got sucked. After reading posts from the smart people here on the boards, I bought the lowers to go with it. I still ocassionaly get some buffeting, but for the most part it's gone.

nationalcycle switchblade 2up no buffeting and great quality.check this from youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDXwcgSYjws.check this out for which size of windshield you need.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNazLUctvzI

WantaVTX2 is offline Senior Member
    Pennsylvania Riders Group
    Switchblades ROCK! I have had a few and wouldn't buy any other. Quick detach and solid!

I had a National Cycle Switchblade on my Shadow ACE and I liked it. I bought a Mephis Shades with quick release for my VTX and while it is ok, its not as nice as the National Cycle. The MS has polished aluminum brackets and the NC has chrome. The polished aluminum just don't look as nice as the chrome. I also like the way the Switchblade system works better than the MS. Also the MS edges of the shield are as cut (rough), where the NC are sanded and polished. While both are functional, the NC is better fit/finish and overall looks. As for height of the shield, I am about 5'7" and I have the Memphis Fats 19" and it is maybe just an inch too tall for me. I have to sit up perfectly straight to see over it. Just my 2 cents.

buffeting, what is this?

Mark in St. Louis is offline Senior Member
    Missouri Riders Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony loves his VTX View Post
    buffeting, what is this?
    That's when the wind that moves around the shield hits you in places you don't want it. Without the lowers on mine (Memphis Fats 21"), wind goes under the shield and was hitting me in the upper chest/under my helmet/up my nose. Putting the lowers on got rid of that. Now, I don't know if this happens to everybody or not, but I admit I have heard of it from a lot of people with the Memphis Fats.

To be honest, I don't recall hearing that about the NC switchblades. This was my first new bike, and had them put a windshield on. Didn't know then that there were differences. The stealer put the Memphis Fats on it. One plus side: he quoted me the standard mounting hardware, but the R only takes the quick release hardware, so I made out a little. Anyway, if I had it to do over again, I'd probably try the NC shield.

NC Switchblade. Go ahead and do yourself a favor and order the lowers 2 go with it. Then you can actually comb your hair and it'll still be in tact once you get to where you're goin. Plus you'll be able to smoke a cig behind that thing! And, don't forget it's removable if you wanna look cool.

Cevulirn is offline Senior Member Georgia Riders Group
    I've got a Memphis Shades windshield. Based on now it survived my recent encounter with the ground, I'll endorse it for durability.

Well how about that, I have the memphis shades too and I have the quickrelease and took the windshield off along with the lowers the other day to feel the wind which was indeed nice but the bugs in the face reminded me again why I have the windshield. I put the windshield back on and did not put the lowers back on and I do know what 'BUFFERING' is. gets me in the nose, almost takes my breathe away. Now that I know I will put those lowers back on. Thanks for the schooling Mark.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information