Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Latest Comfort Modification

6K views 28 replies 23 participants last post by  gizmo0120 
#1 ·
Thanks to a recent thread on the forum, I purchased a new Mustang 2 piece seat for my 1300c from a vendor on ebay and saved 12% as well as recieving free shipping.

Is it just me or did anyone else have a hell of a time lining up the bolts on the drivers seat? I had a few choice words as I struggled to get the seat installed. 2 minutes to remove the stock seat and 30 minutes to install the new Mustang.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

After finally getting the seat on, I took it for a quick ride. Seat feels great on the back, but I can see that the width of the seat between my legs is going to take some getting used to. Now I have to get some miles on it to break that baby in!

:choppersm

As always, here are the pics...

Thanks for looking...

See less See more
#4 ·
I think my legs will be okay when riding, as the pegs keep my knees up, but when stopped at an intersection, I can definitely feel the seat cutting into my legs. I've heard that will go away as the seat breaks in...

#6 ·
The first I tried to install the mustang seat I also had trouble getting bolt to line up.I ended up cutting off a part of my allen wrench to give me a better angle for the bolt to line up better. this helped also make the tab under the tank goes in all the way. Now it's easier to install when I need to remove it.

#27 ·
I did the same thing but went to Mustang to get it. Then looked on Ebay and saw the store that had the same thing cheaper. Told my brother not to make the same mistake. He order through Ebay. Mine and the wifes rears LIKE IT

By the way Gizmo, That DICE key chain. Does that fly around and mar your covers? I want soft for mine. Just wondering.

Mine has a tad bit of a gap too. It grew on my. Don't even notice. maybe mustang revampt them.

#10 ·
I fanally saw how the bolts go into a C model and it's so much different than an R which bolts from the side. I still have to press down and forward to get the holes lined up but it's not a big issue just eyeballing it a little. Cev had The pin mod done and his was a little bit of a bear to get lined up on the C. Different designs, different mounting problems.

#11 ·
I had a problem getting mine to line up too, I finally would get one side started and it still gave me some play to get the other side started and then tightened them up.

#13 ·
Would you say that it´s easier to install (and take away also of course when needed) the Mustang seat on an R model compared to a C? And which Mustang model would be the best for a relatively short and fairly slim guy like me with 30" inseam? Grateful for any suggestions from experienced riders here.

#16 ·
Mine goes on and off without issue as well. The width of the seat did take some getting used to but one you do you won't want anything else again.
Posted via Mobile Device

#20 ·
The seat is a Mustang Touring seat part #75650...

The bags are Saddlemen Desperado Express style bags. Lots of room, but I'm not liking the soft tops, as the passenger tends to push them down...

#22 ·
I have the Vintage Wide version of that deat on my bike and I can say Yes I had a hell of a time getting my bolts in there. When the battery died on me - I took it to the dealer (because the battery was under warranty) - the dealer had a time with getting it lined up too and actually snapped one of the bolts.

Something you might want to consider if you plan on doing several changes or want easier access to the batery is to try the "seat mod" - http://www.bareasschoppers.com/seatpin/

The only thing I would do different with this mod is hit your local Ace hardware store and get a 1" pin instead of the ones that they use int he mod.

#25 ·
i love this seat.
although i did have trouble with one bolt,
i thought i cross threaded it.
bolt went in... but, real tight.
i'll need to run a tap through it i'm sure.
i too wish it would fit nicer to the tank.

#26 ·
i almost bought the orange back in 04 but found the red to
be faster[true story?]--irv :)

i talked to a real knowledgeable mustang rep the other day who
told me that for us fuller figured people to go with the sport
instead of the wide on a C. he says there is no real width difference
but the support would be better. also if you ask they will core
the seat underneath to make the foam spread a little. i guess its
a dirt bike trick that helps the comfort level if you think the seat is too hard.

#28 ·
Love My Mustang Seat! I have the bareass pin mod and it deos make life easier for getting under the seat. I have no issues with the width but my legs are long. All of my friends that sit on her agree that the seat is wide to them. Guess I am just used to it. I like the look better too as it fills the tank area.

Go Orange, we all know it is the best looking color...Fastest too. :stirpot::icon_poke:spank:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.