Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Poll...Do loud pipes save lives?

20K views 122 replies 74 participants last post by  jblguy 
#1 ·
I am currently having a dialog with the staff of Rider Magazine after reading an article called Quieting Down Dec.09.
I have voiced my opinion on loud pipes saving lives and it seems they think every one should go back to stock and bikes should be ticketed and fined when exceeding noise levels.

My point was when I had stock pipes, I have had people open car doors when parked on two lane roads and did not look before opening (almost taking me out.)
I had people change lanes on the high way and push me into the stones because they had the windows up...air blasting..and there favorite CD playing while on there cell phone.
After changing my pipes it was much better, now they know I'm coming with out looking.
I'm not trying to be an Hell's Angel, Friends of Anarchy or bad a$$ biker Dude, just a guy that likes to ride a motorcycle and doesn't want to get splattered on the side of a car or tree.
I was wondering what the people in the Cafe think.

:choppersm

#3 ·
A lot of the cars are built so sound proof now days that unless the windows are down they can't even hear sirens let alone a set of pipes, even if the radio is on inside the car a normal volume.
I personaly prefer my pipes to be somewhat louder than stock. I have had situations that I really believe that I have been noticed because of my pipes.
It is a debate that is very old though. You will prolly get a lot of views on it.

#5 ·
I would agree with Marty, the cars now days are built to not hear outside noise, your pipes may or may not get the attention of cages in the immediate vicinity, which is your biggest concern in most traffic situations. I do believe it's safer on two wheels if your'e heard before seen for obvious reasons, and also think bikes shouldn't sound like a sewing machine on wheels. The bigger picture in my opinion is, more emphasis on driver education & awareness of motorcycles. With the toys of todays technology being the biggest distraction of drivers, it's time to crack down on useage of cell phones while driving. I hate to see laws that have to be enacted to do this, but it's probably the only way to deter motorists from being too distracted while driving, because any vehicle on the road is serious business, and not unlike drinking & driving, a distracted motorist is just as dangerous as an impaired one. JMHO.

#6 ·
I am inclined to think the only people who hear pipes are those of us who ride. How many times have you stopped dead in your tracks to listen to a passing bike, or when riding you hear a bike approaching. That said hope my cobra speedster longs wake up the dead. LOL

#16 ·
when I'm n my cage and see/hear a bike coming, I roll my windows down so I can hear it better, I even turn my tunes off. :) I love the sound of bikes, pluss I like comparing them to mine.

As far as the debate , a little more noise from the bike can't hurt, well anything but my own hearing. I also enjoy pulling up next to idiots at stop lights who are on their cell, rev the he'll out Dr. Vance & Mr. Hines and laugh. Big meanie, ain't I ?
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 ·
The MSF instructors told my class that loud pipes don't do anything. He explained the sound is coming out of the back of the bike and traveling in that direction. Coming from someone who teaches a class for rider safety I tend to believe him. Whenever a bike passes you hear them as they ride by you. Occasionally I hear one coming.... but thats some ass on a harley with drag pipes that would make most anyone deaf after about 10 minutes. If I'm coming to a spot where I think someone might pull out I blip my horn a few times.

#23 ·
+1

there's no empirical study to prove this, but in our limited experiences we may feel that it's true.

If someone were to do a blind study, it'd be a different story altogether.

#9 ·
If they ban loud pipes, I want those "thump thump" systems banned.

They are FAR more annoying.

Epi is right, its not an issue where you will be able to difinitively prove wether or not it saves lives.

Personally, I think they do get attention, and thats the point.

As far as the MSF Instructor, two things.

1) Not all exhaust points out the back. Some point to the ground, and some are slashcut. Either way, sound travels in all directions just a little faster than a motorcycle ever will.

2) Ill bet if I fire a gun, AWAY from him, he will hear it.

-Gonz

#10 ·
leave the loud pipes just get rid of the boom BOom BOOM from those damed car radios. jesus i can't stand that crap. its just stupid noise. just drive like you are suppose to 'smart' and NEVER take for granted you are seen. The minute you get on that bike you turn invisible pipes or not.

#11 ·
If people are riding loud pipes for safety then why don't they do other things like wear full face helmets, add lighting, wear full gear. Loud pipes are simply to sound cool they don't add safety. Instead of anecdotal evidence there needs to be actual studies that can demonstrate whether people actually do notice someone behind them with louder pipes. Between the radio, cell phone, sound insulation I doubt it.

#28 ·
If people are riding loud pipes for safety then why don't they do other things like wear full face helmets, add lighting, wear full gear. Loud pipes are simply to sound cool they don't add safety
Truer words have never been spoken on this topic . . . IMHO.

Really, think about that for a minute . . . if safety was the REALpurpose of loud pipes, then full gear, INCLUDING HELMETS!!!!! would be standard for every person with loud pipes. :mosh: I know, I KNOW . . . this is not a well received opinion but, DAMNIT! . . . somebody needed to say it so I did! :eek:

This topic is debated, ad naseaum, on every board, in every magazine, at every rally, during every in person discussion, you name it. Again, let me say, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, I don't buy it. :nope:

We discussed it back in June here: http://vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=30441&highlight=loud+pipes

I posted these links on the topic then, and I post them again now:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/new...ise/index.html

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...n-motorcycles/

http://www.knowledge-finder.com/tech...oud-pipes.html

http://www.virginiawind.com/byways/l...save_lives.asp

http://biketoberfest.org/loud.cfm/mode/ama

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=35547

There are a lot of great motorcycle functions around the country that are beginning to disband because of loud pipes. One of the largest ones is Myrtle Beach. The residents there have complaint FOR YEARS about the noise that is associated with hosting this great event. Finally, their voices were heard by their elected representatives and the event is dead. Locally, here in "small town" Sebring, we have the annual Ride To The Heartland, which is a fantastic event. But, the residents are complaining about the NOISE! They don't mind the event, but really folks, you've got to have some understanding for the people who live here year round. One or two bikes that ride by with loud pipes is one thing. But 3 or 4 HUNDRED, over the course of 4 or 5 days, from early morning until 1 or 2 in the morning is ASKING for criticism. Add to the fact that no one, and I mean NO ONE, who has loud pipes can abstain from revving their engine CONSTANTLY only adds to the problem.

I know my comments on this topic are not popular. But these are things that must be discussed, no matter how unpopular the may be. Ignoring the fact that the majority of our friends and neighbors do not like all the loud noise will be our Armageddon. Just because we can make noise doesn't mean we should.

#13 ·
I guess if there are against load pipes for safety they want you to turn up the music on your bike. Talk about getting on my nerves ! Nothing like pulling up beside or behind a bike with stock pipes ( OK goldwings mostly ) and they got that god awful loud country music blasting ! I always go into my Harley mold ! Rum-Rum f&% rum ! I'll get in front of them and let the Vance & Hines do my talking !:icon_mrha
:choppersmride on !!!!!

#15 ·
I think it could go both ways. At times it will help you get noticed but... then you have the ones (elderly, kids on the phone, ladies applying make up etc.) that you'll scare the S**t out of and that alone could cause them to take you out just by there reaction.

I'll just stick to my two hole clayton mod and keep my eyes open as usual.

#17 · (Edited)
Loud pipes save lives? This 'phrase' is nothing more that an excuse to make noise. An old 'wives tale, if that.

I would consider it to possibly be the LAST line of defense, and a very very poor one at that.

And for all of those who say they avoided a collision because 'they heard me coming' or, I 'rapped up my throttle and sounded my pipes'
, well,

A Stebel horn would be just as effective, if not moreso!

The FACT is, We don't put loud pipes on a bike because we want to be safe, :nope:, we do it because we think it sounds cool! :rolleyes:

99% of the time, the ONLY one who likes LOUD pipes is the one twisting the wick! (The other 1% are those who just like noise!)

LOUD pipes on bikes are NO different than 'Boom-Boom' rap or the 'Fart can' mufflers on cars.

If you are in favor of LOUD pipes, make dayum sure you never complain about ANY other type of noise on the road, because THEY are just doing it to 'save lives {be COOL!} too! :rolleyes:

Those of us who have to listen to other peoples noise aren't impressed, be it boom-boom rap, a fart can muffler, or ANY MC without a decent exhaust ! :nope: I'm not saying 'OEM or nothing', but those who run straight pipes and the likes are in the exact same catagory as 'fart' cars and 'Boom-boom' music!

Saying that loud pipes 'save lives' over quiet pipes is about as factual as saying a lime green car is safer to drive than a black car 'because you will be noticed' :rolleyes:

But, what if the black car had LOUD PIPES!!???! :hmm2:Would it then be safer than the lime green car???

Good Lord!!!! :banghead:

#21 ·
Loud pipes save lives? This 'phrase' is nothing more that an excuse to make noise. An old 'wives tale, if that.

<snip>

Good Lord!!!! :banghead:
Everything he said, +1

My only complaint is the singling out of bike exhaust when the Civics on the road create 100X the noise pollution and are a hazardous driver distraction. Enforce a noise ordinance across the board or not at all. Enforce speed limits, traffic laws and a cel phone ban too. THAT would do more to save us than a high powered noisemaker.

#18 · (Edited)
My Sideburners have awakened several driver on the freeways that start changing lanes into me. I back off the throttle a little and they roar like a jake brake. I have been saved in a parking lot twice by my pipes and kept drivers from hitting me. I actualy try to stay our of drivers blind spots ride on the opposite of the lane to cars next to me.

To me, there is a difference between LOUD pipes and pipes that make noise but sound good. My HK 3" BIGs were very loud and in a range that was much more annoying to neighbors and others. My HK Sideburners sound more like a Big Block Chevy cruising by unless you hammer it but they are still not in the annoying range and I have received no complaints from neighbors like I did with the 3" BIGs. Infact, several have commented about the SBs after thinking I bought a new bike.

Loud pipes do save lives in many situations but there is a difference in "loud" and obnoxious and even how your ride with your pipes.

As for horns, yes, they can work too. But that takes split second reactions at a time when moving a hand on the bars means less control of the bike. In most cases I have been in where I could use my horn it was not a serious situation YET when compared to it happening RIGHT NOW. I let off the throttle or pull in the clutch and rap the throttle, both of which let me keep control without thinking about it. Very seldom has a horn been sounded and then a crash. It is usually a horn and then braking without SKIDDING. In most cases, if you ahve time to hit your horn you have time to avoid it. On a bike, both hands are required to maintain control. In my case I know I have hit the turn signal when trying to find the horn. My throttle is already in my hand. That is my HORN.

#19 ·
I actualy try to stay our of drivers blind spots ride on the opposite of the lane to cars next to me.
Absolutely, Always.

As a rider, you need to be acutely aware of your surroundings. That includes Potential Hazards.

Waking up some distracted cager with your pipes could, theoretically, could save your or someone else's life.

Has it happened? Probably...

Can you prove that theory? Probably not...

Will people who dislike loud pipes disagree? Of course...

-Gonz

#20 ·
I can say that my pipes have saved me at least twice. One was a woman talking on a cell phone that wanted to change lanes in heavy traffic on a 6 lane road near my house. She was paying no attention when she did a FAST swerve to my lane where I had no place to go except into a car to my left. My sudden let off of the throttle and pipe noise made he jump back to her lane. There was no room for me to slow down without being hit from behind or slammed into the car next to me by her. She was trying to get ONE MORE CAR ahead. The second was on the freeway while riding with 6 other bikers in heavy quiting time traffic. We were riding in staggered formation with lots of distance between us and another woman was going in and out of traffic at 70+ mph and across multipule lanes when she tried to enter my lane while I was there. Again, I let off the throttle and JAKE BRAKE sound woke her up and again kept me from being driven into the vheicle next to me.

NOw, as for those stereo THUMPERS on the road. I love being next to them at lights and I will put them on the right side of me if possible. The big block rumpble of my pipes really mess with them and if htey turn up their stereos I give the X couple throttle twists, just quick blips for fun. Most everyone would rather hear the sound of a good engine then a thumpin fuzzy sounding over powered car stereo.

#22 ·
I personally can't hear pipes as bikes approach me from the rear, but can hear them once they are abreast my vehicle. I think that the flashing headlight in the mirrors gets more attention than the pipes. Wishing all a nice day.

#25 ·
+1... I will say, since I gutted my pipes the only thing in front of me that I know (for sure) I got the attention of was a yearling grazing on the side of the road! I like it loud... not likely to change.

#27 ·
Wow.....This is a wide range of opinions. I kind of look at it from a very narrow point of view. I have had more then my share of near misses. I find it very irritating when some dumb *&%$ cut's me off.
I ride very defensively but some times you get caught in a situation when someone will do the unexpected.
I have a light bar, silver bike and I'm not a small person by any means.
Maybe we have more dumb people here then in most parts of the country. I think we had about 7 people on bikes get smacked in Toledo this summer. A few didn't make it.
I heard a story where one rider was pushed into a curb and got so mad he caught the driver at the next red light, pulled out a knife and punched the front tire.
I try to ride the country roads as much as possible so I can have a nice relaxing cruse and keep the RPM's down.....Just the thump thump thump of the V twin.
Riding threw the shopping district you are taking your life in your hands.

#30 ·
Yes, they sound cool, there is no question about it.

Very few complaints come from the open road, they come from residents who live mainly in subdivisions, or on heavily traveled roads or in an area where there are bike rallies. These people live there all the time . . . not just when a rally comes to town. Mostly they don't care about some noise, it's the obnoxious noise from the few who have no consideration for others that leads to trouble. :choppersm

#31 ·
I think that louder pipes really do help you get noticed on the road. I also believe that judicial use of the throttle will prevent you from a lot of situations, particualarly on multi-lane highways. Stay out of the blind spots of adjacent cagers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.