Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

vtx 1800 vs yamaha 1700 roadstar

27K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Gonzo1970 
#1 ·
My neighbor is selling a mint 2006 roadstar. anyone want to put in there 2 cents about trying out the yamaha ? pro's or cons ? my 1800 is a dream but i am curious about the air cooled roadie as she is truly a beautiful bike and the price could be right. thanks !

God Bless America!:patriot:

moe

#10 ·
funny, i am in the same boat. i test rode one and it was sold before i could grab it. bought my X, now another 1700 came up for sale local at a great price. they have a great ride, options like self cancel turn signals, fuel gage, 5.3 gal tank, and lots of options. i like the belt drive too. lacks fuel injection, less torque and HP as X, and loses the liquid cooling. big toss up. I'm gonna look at it later today, so my X may be up for sale later today. lol

#11 ·
yes i like the water cooled engine, fuel injection and the fact she has been bullet proof for over 19,000 miles. maybe i am getting nostalgic with the road star 's look. very retro , with high marks for fit & finish. i have to admit i do love my vtx. was wondering if anyone had any problems with one or any solid reason to try it. anyone else got any input ? thanks !:patriot:

#12 ·
Moe, they are good bikes. The thing is, get what you really want. For me it was simple.
1. Good looking
2. Liquid cooled
3. Fuel Injected
4. Reliable
5. Reasonable aftermarket stuff

All of those things have equal value for me, and that's why I wound up with the X, but you'll have to make your own list to see what is important to you. Then again, maybe just have both bikes in the garage, and switch them out (I've got 3 in my garage right now)

#13 ·
I have always liked Hondas and Yamahas. But I must tell you after recently purchasing the wifes V Star 950, I have a whole new respect for the fit and finish on the Yamis. Self Canceling turnsignals, adjustable dash light brightness, controls on the handlebars. We are seriously considering a Venture for our Touring bike.

Good luck

#14 ·
Ok, this is going to sound sort of hippie, and existential so you've been warned. If you don't want to read it, stop now.

I believe that yamahas have the best fit and finish of any motorcycle available. I think that their attention to detail is first class, and they are technically some of the best motorcycles out there. That said, I have yet to ride one that I felt had a soul. It is almost like they are too finished, and nothing about it can be truely yours. I felt that way with my first one (1984), with my second one (1990), with each one I've test ridden, each one that a friend has let me ride, and even when I test rode a FJR1300 at biketoberfest. My wife wants a fz6r and I plan on getting it for her next year. It doesn't matter that I don't think it has a soul, she loves it and that is all that counts. When I ride my hondas (I have 2 right now) they have little quirks that make them different than all of the other bikes that I've ridden including the same models. I realize that to most people these quirks are blemishes, or mechanical problems that suggest that they are inferior, but to me they are what makes them "my" bikes. My Kawasaki's over the years had them, my Suzuki's had them, and the Harley that I had definately had them (actually had too many for me).

That said, mechanically, I don't think that you can go wrong with a Yami (other than carbs, air cooled as previously mentioned), and aesthetically, they are very nice, but they just aren't my cup of tea.

#16 ·
Love the Roadliner and Stratoliner. My only apprehension was the air cooled bit due to the fact that live in AZ. I almost bought the Strato but I decided against it for that reason. IMO for fit and finish, the yami takes it but I wouldn't give up my Honda reliability.

#17 ·
1700 roadstars are beautiful, very nostalgic/retro, but top heavy and clumsy feeling. Roadliner/Stratoliner more advanced but too over-the-top stylistically. Great bikes just-the-same, superb fit & finish. I started out determined to buy an 1100 V-Star, mainly because it has a shaft and is aircooled, opted for the 1300 VTX-R last minute, no regrets what-so-ever. Now thinking about an 1800N while I can.

#18 ·
agreed the yamas are well designed both mechanically and aesthetically. Last weekend i demo rode the roadliner,vmax, and R6. roadliner is similar to VTX18 and kawi vulcan2000. v-max v4 does accelerate well! and the high revving R6 inline four is a runner. i would prefer a 600cc inline four rather than another cruiser. get the roadstar if you want it but those dollars could be spent on a second bike which offers a different ride. the FJR, ST, or Concours are also fine accelerating rides. i'd pass on getting a second cruiser.

#19 ·
Don't See the Attraction

Honda has been the most reliable bikes I've ever bought. I've owned a good Yamaha too. But I couldn't see trading vtx, or buying a stratoliner to replace my VTX. Air cooled and belt drive?

#21 ·
My friend had one before he went to an Ultra Classic. He liked it, and never had any issues with it.

For me, as people stated above, the Air Cooling versus Liquid Cooling is a deal-breaker for me.

-Gonz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.