Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Brake Light Wire

14K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  rebuncle 
#1 ·
So I just bought the Back Off module to flash the brake lights and wanted to make sure before cutting and splicing the wrong wires.
I have an '07 1300 S and from what I gathered on some older posts, I took off the right side cover, found the boot covering the wire gang, and found close to a billion wires there. OK, so it just felt that way... Anyway, I believe the brake wire is the green wire with the white stripe on it - correct? At what point in the wire do you suggest I splice? There seems to be a point where all those wires terminate into one box (really technical term, I know) that is under the boot, also not sure of the best place to stick the module. It doesn't seem to have enough length to reach under the seat, should I stick it to an empty space I can find under that cover?
Thanks again in advance for all your helps and hints and wishing everyone a Happy, Healthy and SAFE New Year!

#3 ·
I have it downloaded on my computer and I tried checking it there before I posted but I couldn't quite make heads or tails out of the wiring diagram.

#4 ·
+1 On the down load...
My manual shows G/Y as the one that goes to the brakelight filament.
the W/G is the one that feeds juice to the brake switches.

Which module are you trying to install?
Manufacture? Model#?
That info should get us closer to what you need!
I have the RTB ( the one that makes the turn signals into runing/brakeligts as well) and for the 06 & up it should be plug & play. 9 it comes with the same kind of plastic connectors that are on our wiring harnesses and the quick disconnects.
Unless someone does what I did & order the wrong one...(OOoops!)What I did then was splice by soldering & Shrink tube But that was only for the turn signals.:hmm2:

Mr Uncle...
The page you downloaded is for models Pre '06 and shows all connections made with the round quick disconnect.
If it looks like Greek...the business end of the diagram about 1" south of the brakelight on your diagram as you have it posted( Brake light to the top of the page)

This is basically behind your right side cover.
You should have 2 orange locking plugs, these are for your turn signals.
these are Light blue & green in one connector - Right
Orange & green in the other connector - Left

There should be 3 other wires... (these will have the round disconnect crimp on jobbers)
Green - Ground
Brown - Running light/license plate & I beleive this is where you'll need to tap your power to fire up the module.
Last is Green/yellow this where you will want to insert the module. Input side comes from the fuse box - out put will go towards the tail light end.

I hope I help & not hindered so far.
If directions tell you to use one of those squeeze jobbers that piggie back onto a wire to get power be cautious of these as they tend to corrode in short time.

Good luck!

#5 · (Edited)
OK, sorry for not posting the actual item - my bad. It is the Signal Dynamics back off brake modulator from CC. I tried copying the link but it is just way too long but I am attaching a pic.
Arazla, I definatley saw the crimp jobbers and that is what threw me off as to where to splice in the module. The directions recommend soldering it in after splicing and I actually found a cheap solder and stuff at good ol' Wally World yesterday so I'm ready to go with that - just trying to be sure where to splice it in. Perhaps tomorrow I can post a pic...
thx again guys!

#8 ·
Green and yellow is the brake light wire ...
Correct
:cheers:

wanderingbear said:
...Brown is the common ground on all the lights.
:eek: Nope. The brown wire is the power feed to the taillight and L.P. lights.

The solid green wire is the common ground wire.

Orange is for the left turnsignal and light blue is for the right turnsignal.

#7 ·
Uncle no prob on the info. I'll check out the module and see if I can fly you in.

WBear. Take a close look at the diagram he posted which s close enough. The green is common ground. And brown is running power. I know for a fact as I used brown to power my RTB module. Just don't want confuse uncle. I just double checked the schematics again.
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 ·
Uncle no prob on the info. I'll check out the module and see if I can fly you in.

WBear. Take a close look at the diagram he posted which s close enough. The green is common ground. And brown is running power. I know for a fact as I used brown to power my RTB module. Just don't want confuse uncle. I just double checked the schematics again.
Posted via Mobile Device
I just went and checked my module you are 100% right, I read it wrong sorry.

#10 ·
First - Happy New year To all!

Hey Bear No problem!!
Just trying to keep uncle on track!!

MC Thanks for the confirmation!

Uncle,
I just looked at the instructions for Model # 1001.

Since we have a disconnect right there under our right side cover you will not have to cut into anything.

The Green/yellow is the wire you need. Since there are the Crimp on quick disconnects ("Jobbers" - Yes this is a technical term!) you have two choices.
Fist is to hunt down the same kind of Quick disconnects that honda uses. Get a male and female & simply crimp them on. this is the easiest and you do not have change anything out. Easy to remove if ever needed to.

The G/Y wire coming from the fuse box area will go to the red wire on the module, the G/Y wire going back to the brake light will connect to the White/Red wire of the module.

this should be it!

If you decide to solder, please consider adhesive lined shrink tubing as it will hold up to the elements much better. ( A little trick i learned from the boys of the shipyards in Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin! ) ;-)

:choppersm

#11 ·
Firstly, I want to thank all who've jumped in with the technical stuff to help - Bear, arazla, Madness - I knew you guys would.
Secondly, boy was this simpler in my head (cut here, solder there, tape there, go ride)... I'll just have to print out the thread and take it frmo there. Maybe Sunday I'll open up the cover again and take a fresh look at the wires and hopefully it'll click for me then.
thx again and have a Happy New Year!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.