Airbox decapitation how-to.... - Page 2

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Airbox decapitation how-to....

07meaniegreenie is offline PEOPLE CALL ME GERSTY
    Missouri Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have Gonzo coming over to help me tackle this with the scar, I bought new champ plugs for it, got the washers, Glens perm, a/f screw and got a k&n filter, I am gonna be running the stock airbox cover so i will be able to put my two cents in about the air sucking sound if its louder or not, As everyone else has already stated Thanks for the great writeup Bass.

Mondorah is offline Pie liker/Snow Hater
    Indiana Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice write up Bass. Good job.

Post Thanks / Like

Hay nice job.

I got to get a new camera, I can't get good pictures in the garage. So thanks for your pictures and write up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassdude404 View Post
    Don't be sorry, no need...I've been getting PM's about this for the past several weeks now, about 2-3 a week...So I decided to just do it this way instead of re-typing the same info over and over...Been hanging oot at the "other" site also and getting the same questions over thetre, just not as frequent...So now when that happens, I'll post the link to this site instead....
    Having been over at the other site, I got to say the people that are on here are a lot more plesent. On the other site people would be telling you your nuts for doing this, or you should have done it a drifferent way. LOL

4. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Bass, if I may sir, don't want to highjack but Scar mod needs to go with your decap mod.
    This looks to be a good video of Scar Mod done right in front of your eyes. It starts with the seat, tank and airbox off. Ready to go right into the carb. Looks like this will put many of us at ease. Looks VERY easy. Take a look but Beware you'll be wrenchin' soon.

http://www.goheengarage.com/tutorials.html

Bass maybe you can edit and add this to your O. Post at top.
    Whatever you choose Bass.
    Later All,
    Smoke

Bassdude404 is offline The guitar, not the fish!
    Ohio Riders Group
    Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smoke View Post
    .Bass maybe you can edit and add this to your O.
    Huh????...
    Quote Originally Posted by captsharky View Post
    Having been over at the other site, I got to say the people that are on here are a lot more plesent. On the other site people would be telling you your nuts for doing this, or you should have done it a drifferent way. LOL
    Actually, a year or so ago we had a new member that was fresh out of "bike mechanic" school that was severely bashing all of us that drilled pipes and modded airboxes from factory...Said that the factory engineers knew what was the best and we should leave all our bikes totally stock...Yeah, like that's gonna happen!!....LOL!!...He didn't stick around long...Every once in awhile we get somebody like that, and they don't stay long once they see what we're really all about....Prolly why if Honda themselves actually visit this site, they don't make themselves known...

Post Thanks / Like
    If man makes it, Man can and will modify it ! Besides how do peeps like that expect to make a bike your own if ya dont Mod it ? Great tutorial on the scar mod, I will be doing this mod in the next day or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great write up Bill.
    I did this mod right after he originally posted it and love it. I'm running the stock cover, and pipes are Kiwi modded, and I am using 2 shims with the A/F screw at 2 turns out. I don't really remember hearing it suck air any louder after doing it than it did before, but i don't have a lazer cut cover on mine.

TIGERX is offline FDC !! The Real Truth...
    Ohio Riders Group
    Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    +100 on the write up Bass..... I have the exact same setup across the board... I don't hear much of a sucking sound or overly loud air sounds as a result of the decap to the air box. A bit from the front right side due to the lazercut cover but that's about it.... My Street Sweepers pretty much rule the sound overall.... I will say this... Having just this mod "decap the airbox" is worth it's weight for sure.... but coupled with any open air cover, the SCAR mod, the PAIR valve mod and dialed in around the 2 to 2 1/2 turns on the A/F? Well now those will give you such a kick in the pants power boost that you will never stop cheezin.....

one_fair_shot is offline Senior Member
    Indiana Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again for the write up...I did this a couple weeks ago and now the weather is warmin up a bit I got to go out and test it out completly....one of the best things I could've done with the bike! And it's free!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great write up

Hopefully I am sort of on topic here with this question.

I see lots of discussion about the pair valve removal, the air box decapitation, scar mod and the opening the air breather covers. The general consensus is that this does give the bike more power and better throttle performance. I understand all that and can see the benefits. What I am not seeing in these threads is any data on how or if these modifications effect the gas mileage of the bike and to what degree.

I figure with the way some of you guys keep records, there most be some empirical data out there from before the mods and after the mods for a comparison of the power and performance increase to the miles per gallon ratio. I most admit to being as mechanically inclined as a brick, so in my mind I am thinking if power and performance goes up, gas mileage going down is the most likely direction. However since I don't know the answer I figured I would throw the question out to the group.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information