Urgent Help Sputter, lurching, and backfiring

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sputter, lurching, and backfiring

Sputter, lurching, and backfiring

HELP! I have a used 1300R, stock pipes, air, etc, no engine mods. It's been running great since I got it, about 4k miles on it. Suddenly, today on the way home.. it started going crazy! On acceleration it would start sputtering, lurching, and flailing all over the place.. and if I try to push past it.. it backfires. It feels like it's just about to run out of gas or something.. but it's a full tank. Once I got it up to speed, I was able to cruise along at 70-80mph with no issues.. an occasional minor stutter, but nothing major. Idle sounds perfectly normal. Rev the engine sounds ok. But when I engage the clutch and accelerate, it starts going haywire! Once I can get it up to speed, things calm down... but getting there is tough. I thought maybe bad gas... but i had gone through 100 miles of that tank before it had any problems. If it were bad gas, I would have felt it right away.

Any ideas what could be causing this problem? Help!?!

The first thing I would check is the battery. Make sure everything is tightened down with a wrench, not a screwdriver.

Next, check the wires going into the ECM on top of the battery.

Good luck.

Cevulirn is offline Senior Member Georgia Riders Group
    Yeah, ECM is the first thing I'd think of.. Also, while your checking make sure all the connectors are secure down there.

Charlie D is offline Senior Member
    Washington State Riders Group
    Oregon Riders Group
    yes the battery first then the ecm wires should be checked while you are there it is on top of the battery.

If that doesn't cure it then you may have some water in the gas this would call for opening the drain on the carb bowl.

next up would be checking for fouled plugs good replacements are the Champion RA8HC (810)

also make sure the vacuum line to the fuel valve is still on all the way.

magafike is offline Senior Member Maryland Riders Group
    Delaware Riders Group
    I bought a used 05 from the dealer 01-2010 and had only put 200 miles on it when my bike did that same thing as yours. When letting out the clutch there was nothing, roll on the throttle and nothing, yet it would idel fine. Get it reved up and she would run like chit. Check your air box cover and see if there is any gas in it. My carb was gunked up from this darn gas we have to use.

Like they said, battery cables . . . . . most of the time you'll find one or both has worked it's way loose. Use a socket to tighten but don't get overly excited and strip it out.

Or you could try... no wait they covered that, ok then how about... nope thats covered to.

All kidding aside everything they mentioned above is good info and I'm sure it's one of those, so I hope you get it figured out...

Gas and battery are always the first thing people say to check. I saw Charlie mention plugs and I would have to agree....reason....my first bike was a Suzuki Volusia 800 and after sitting for a winter I went to take it out for a ride. It had old gas (with Sta-bil in it though) but I figure I would just run it out of there. RAN LIKE CRAP! No torque, backfired a lot, sputtered, etc. So tI started checking connections and draining gas. Couldn't figure it out. Called my uncle who use to be a MC mechanic, he said to check the plugs. Sure enough, they were fouled. Replaced them and ran great.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I'd check the plugs!

Gonzo1970 is offline Equito Passim
    Missouri Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group

Check to make sure your Choke is not pulled out at all.
    Make sure battery cables are tight.
    Check Green and Black Wires at the ECM (Black plastic box on top of the battery).

Those are the three easy ones... chences are, its your battery connections, but start at those three first.

The reason I put choke first is because I picked my bike up at the dealer and didnt know he pulled the choke out about 1/4 inch.. Ran with it and once it got warm, it started doing exactly what youre describing.

Battery Cables are a normal issue for us, and the Green and Black ECM wires are also a common issue.

Let us know!

-Gonz
    Last edited by Gonzo1970; 03-04-2010 at 10:39 AM.

magafike is offline Senior Member Maryland Riders Group
    Delaware Riders Group
    Yes please let us know what the cause of this problem turns out to be.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information