Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Jetting problems

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  ozzyman 
#1 ·
Hye all, purchased my 2007 VTX 1300R Last summer. The guy i bought it from put a Cobra Speedster Exhaust and a HyperCharger air intake and im pretty sure he never had it re-jetted, Especially after last weekend i took an Advanced Rider Course here in PA. I had to ride the whole way there with the choke on a little (it was 20 degrees though) and after 8 hours of slow moving manuevers and courses my bike was so loaded up it took about 30 minutes to get it cleared up on the way home that i could run without the choke. :banghead:

if anyone could tell me how i need to change up my jetting i'd greatly appreciate it.

#2 ·
Do a search on SCAR - that is a zero cost shim job on the needle. Quick and easy. You could also get the Factory Pro jet kit (about $60). No matter which choice you make buy the permanent A/F screw from Glen's Garage ($40) where you can adjust the A/F screw easily.

#6 ·
only problem with the scar mod is you have to have the stock parts
Hyperchargers come with a chitty jet kit so odds are you are going to need to replace some jets.
Hyper comes with a 65 slow and you need a 58
and I think the main is a 185 with the kit and you need a 210 or 215.

you won't know till you open it up

#7 ·
The reading i did on SCAR does seem pretty easy so hopefully thats all i need.

Thanks for you info Charlie D, i'll have to tear into it next week when it rains again.

Since the coarse its running good again with the exception on backfiring when im coasting.

#8 ·
I would recommend the FP Jet Kit. That way you know, for sure, whats in it.. I think Amazon.com had them for $65?

If you want to get rid of the backfiring, you can look up PAIR Removal..

-Gonz

#9 ·
Thanks again, yeah im deffinatly going to look into the jet kit, because i deffinatly have no idea if anything was ever changed in the carb and the guy i bought it off of is clueless to it. Then again he bought it put the stuff on it for 1200 miles and sold it

#11 ·
Well aside from the FP Kit i just found out im going to be replacing all the vacuum lines on the bike. The one from my carb to my hyper charger and the one that comes off the back of the tank by the seat are all dry rotted already and falling apart, probably alot of the reason for my back firing. Just cna't believe they are dry-rotted already

#13 ·
I found a cracked vacuum line when doing my Pair removal, Fixed all my backfiring issues, which were real bad....

The FP kit is AWSOME..... go with a 210 or 215 main, 58 pilot, 1-2 turns on AF screw and 4th clip on needle to start, you will absolutely love the results!

Make sure you still clip the tit as you would in the SCAR mod as the factory pro needle is a bit taller and needs this done as well.

#14 ·
thanks alot for all the advice, i'll be sure to post back when i get it all done.

i did fix the vacuum line today had half the back apart for the first time, bike ran much better.

i am a little worried about taking off the hypercharger to get to the carb tho.... i put the allen wrench on the bolts and 2 of them feel like they are going to break, really don't need that headache.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.