Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Need some advice on driving lights

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  911Radioman 
#1 ·
I picked up a set of driving lights the other day, not motorcycle specific, but my plan is to put them on my engine guard. I have a couple of questions to throw out and hopefully I can get the answers I'm looking for.

1. You guys that have mounted lights on your engine guard, how did you route your wiring? Did you drill a hole in the bar and run the wiring inside the bar or did you do something else?

2. The bulbs in the lights are H3, 55W lights. Will my system handle that OK, or should I downgrade to a smaller bulb? I do have a 30A relay that I picked up when I got the lights.

My plan is to use either Kury p-clamps or something similar for the mounts. Right now, I think my biggest concern is to figure out how to best route the wiring.

I assume when auxiliary lights are wired they are wired to come on with the high beams, is that correct? Also, where did you tap into your wiring? In the headlight or elsewhere?

I'm tinkering with the idea of running power from the battery itself to the lights, then putting them on a separate switch then I can control when they are on or off.

Any input you guys can give me will help me out a lot! Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Wire and Lights

I have not installed these on a engine guard, But I see no problem. I would use your battery for power wire and the relay is a must. Another switch is also the best. Since your are going to be running a relay any single post double throw will work fine. I had a micro switch for the remote cut on for the relay. The lights should be hooked up to come on with the LOW BEAMS or you could have them for both. You will need them alot more while the low beams are being used other than the high beam. There's always a chance for chrome to peel after drilling threw it. So that's a chance I would take to hide the wires. Make sure to use a grommet when passing a wire threw a metal surface. Hope this helps, Good Luck with your project. GG :D

#3 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.