2004 VTX-1800C stored too long, won't start

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2004 VTX-1800C stored too long, won't start

2004 VTX-1800C stored too long, won't start

I'm a newbie to the forum. It looks fantastic. I messed up. I moved to Florida from N.H. about a year ago. Got into house upgrade, etc. etc. and haven't ridden my bike in over a year. Bat. was dead so I tried to jump it off of car. That didn't work. Installed new bat. No go. Siphoned old fuel, added new fuel and SeaFoam. Still won't start. Lights come on, cranks beautifully. Just won't start. My bad for not riding it in so long. Now what? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bill
    Last edited by aabillthecat; 05-05-2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Newbie just figured out what tags are, trying to add one

Welcome to the Cafe!

It sounds like you started with the right things...battery, fresh fuel with seafoam...I would recommend changing the oil, but that wouldn't keep it from turning over. Also, check the air filter for mice.

One thought...have you checked the plugs?

BeefyBeefo thanks for replying so quickly

The bike is "turning over" just fine, just not starting. I have not checked the air filter for mice, nor the plugs. I read in the service manual that when you turn the key on, and then go to run on the "kill" switch you're supposed to hear the fuel pump running. I'm not hearing that. Also, when I first opened the gas tank there was quite a bit of residue around the cap (which I wiped out with a rag) and there was quite a bit of stuff clinging to the siphon tube I used to get the gas out. A clogged fuel filter I could understand. But would this prevent the fuel pump from running? I'm hoping that I didn't fry some kind of relay while trying to jump start the battery initially. I came out to check the jump start from my car and noticed smoke coming from the positive cable at the battery connection. I pulled that bat. It read 3 volts. I'm hoping all I did was fry the old battery. The new bat. is fully charged and cranking the bike just fine. Thanks, Bill
    Last edited by aabillthecat; 05-05-2010 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Accidentally called BeefyBeefo, BabyBeefo, sorry

You can jump from another 12V system without harm (as long as it's hooked up correctly).

If you are not hearing the fuel pump when turning the key on with the kill switch in the on position then that is a problem. Without a fuel pump, the bike will not turn over (just for clarification, the bike is cranking but not turning over ). Make sure you check the plugs soon.

Also, was the tank full of fuel? Any stabil in it? If neither of these were done, I might be concerned that there's rust in the gas tank. If the filter is clogged, that's another issue.

IMO, if you are not hearing the fuel pump run, that is the first issue that needs to be corrected/investigated.

You could also check the fuses, but I don't think that would keep it from turning over. The fuel pump seems to be the biggest issue at the moment if it really is not priming.

In all honesty, a year is not that long for a bike to sit, but when the fuel is not prepped for it there can be issues.

Good luck.
    Last edited by BeefyBeefo; 05-05-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Mortikus is offline Slayer of Chickens

Florida Riders Group

Looks like he might have a 'thing' for you... "BabyBeefo" lol

Welcome to the Cafe Bill.

The book is right though, if you have the kill switch off and turn the bike on, when you turn on the kill switch I normally hear a quiet high pitch whine.

You need three things, air, fuel, spark. Sounds like you've got electricals, unless fuel injection isn't functioning. Air generally wouldn't get clogged enough to prevent, unless a vacuum line is pulled somehow, but you intake should have 'enough' even if something had crawled in there to start, just may run like crap (I mean, jeesh unless it REALLY clogged it...).

I'm goin with Beef on the plugs, I'd check them just make sure 'somehow' moisture didn't corrode the firing tips... if they're fine, fuel... but I don't know what steps to take on that.

Mort

Thanks guys

Good point about "cranking" vs. "turning over". It is definitely not turning over. I am also definitely not hearing any high pitched whine with all switches in place ready for start. I've got the service manual so will pull the tank entirely, replace fuel filter and fuel pump. That's probably gonna be til next week before I can get that done. Gotta earn a living in between Thanks for the help. I'll post anything I learn from this (other than the obvious; put Stabil in your fuel tank if not intending to use for awhile, and use a trickle charger for bat). I didn't do any of that. Kind of knew I should have, but I am a horrible procrastinator, and get into the menana, menana thing. Next thing you know a year has gone by.
    Thanks again, Bill

You are not going to be happy. The fuel pump assembly is $373.00 - can't buy just the pump. Hell, the fuel filter is $54.00. See below link.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...x1800c/o/m2934

I would be looking for blown fuses or some electrical problem before I assumed that the fuel pump was bad. I also believe I would try cleaning the pump and filter. Make sure you get all of the gunk out of the tank.

Thanks

I didn't realize the replacements would be so expensive. I am more used to repairing automobiles. Pulling the filter and pump, and cleaning them up sounds like a great interim step. As far as the electrics? That crossed my mind. I've already checked the fuses. They're all good. I can't think of what would keep the pump from at least trying to turn on even if it were gunked up. Unless it has some kind of self protection mechanism. Maybe there's no fuel making it through the filter, it "senses" no fuel coming and doesn't try to dry run itself into oblivion? Hell I'm such a novice at this, I don't even know if the filter is upline from the pump or vice versa. Sorry to be such an ignoramus. I haven't had to work on this bike before. And, yes, I do believe the tank itself is going to need a good cleaning. From what I saw when I opened the cap, it's not good. I'll keep plugging away and definitely let all of you know, who were so nice to help, what the outcome is. It could very well be that I pony up the dough and pay a professional. Either way I'll be sure to report back. Thanks for all the suggestions. Bill

Gas... if left setting for to long turns to varnish. Varnish will clog your fuel injection / and carbarator jets so bad that they might need replacement. I have a 76 G-Wing I left set and didn't drain the float bowls and had to have the 4 carbs rebuilt, remounted and reset for $500.00 and also had to flush the tank 2 yrs ago. I now run the carbs dry or start twice a month to keep them clean and the gas moving around in the tank. Best bet is to drain tank and carbs if parking for long time.The tank won't rust with gas, it gets gummed up with varnish that looks like rust. Put fuel injector cleaner to help break it up and flush. Spray some starter fluid in air filter to see if bike will start and possibly help to unclog jets.
    Rots of Ruck,

Quote Originally Posted by 1800carl View Post
    Gas... if left setting for to long turns to varnish. Varnish will clog your fuel injection / and carbarator jets so bad that they might need replacement. I have a 76 G-Wing I left set and didn't drain the float bowls and had to have the 4 carbs rebuilt, remounted and reset for $500.00 and also had to flush the tank 2 yrs ago. I now run the carbs dry or start twice a month to keep them clean and the gas moving around in the tank. Best bet is to drain tank and carbs if parking for long time.The tank won't rust with gas, it gets gummed up with varnish that looks like rust. Put fuel injector cleaner to help break it up and flush. Spray some starter fluid in air filter to see if bike will start and possibly help to unclog jets.
    Rots of Ruck,
    It's an 1800. We don't need no stinkin' carbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information