white smoke, thick white smoke

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: white smoke, thick white smoke

white smoke, thick white smoke

Morning, i have thick white smoke now coming out of my exhaust pipes, i changed my oil about 3 weeks ago and used 4 qts. (synthetic)and about 7 oz. of lucas oil stab. had work done to it after that,(new pipes k&n air filter) at a shop and when i got it back everything was great. then when i would put the key in and turn it to the on position the oil pres light would not light when the bike was warm but when i let it cool down it would light back up(when the bike wasnt running) went back to shop and they said that the pressure switch was right next to the front pipe and it may be going bad or that the switch is over heating next to the pipes and works again when it cools off. on start up(first ride of the day) you could see a wet spot on the pavement and then started to smoke a little after the bike got warm. talked to people on here and said i put too much oil in and to drain some, i did and it seems to stop the wet mark it used to make but it smoked like a MF still. not sure if its just burning off still, shop i talked to said that if the bike didnt use synthetic oil before(im second owner and dont know what he used) and then switched over that it might eat at the rings. the bike runs great!!! nothing that would make u think anythings is wrong other than the smoke, and its only at stop lights too, start moving and no more smoke, now the oil is on the stick but does look a little low
    please help me

I noticed you're in flemington, I'm very close: New Brunswick. I can come by in a couple days and see if I can figure it out!

There's a good chance the smoke will stop in a hundred miles or so.

yeah bro anything may help, i just dont want to kill my bike running it burning oil, and id love it to be a cheap fix too, like just change the oil again and dont use the oil stab, some one on here said that it could have caused the oil to foam, hope thats all i only have 13000 miles on it!! Thanks Avi

please if anyone has any info id love to hear it, thanks again everyone for the help and info

simonh is offline Senior Member
    Texas Riders Group
    white smoke from a car means water-antifreeze. check your system , got my eye when you said wet spot under bike . good luck

thundrhd is offline Dragon Slayer
    Missouri Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    +++ The white smoke usually does indicate water. Don't know what kind of synth you used, but if you don't already know, energy conserving oil is BAD in our bikes. You said when you checked oil it was low, do you check it on the side stand, if so, thats not an accurate reading, bike has to be level. Whoever told you changing from dino to synth oil would hurt your bike is a complete idiot, don't ever trust them to work on your bike. When you do change oil, remember, it has two drain plugs. Hope u get this figured out, don't hesitate to ask for help, that's what were all here for.

msg6 is offline Senior Member Massachusetts Riders Group
    Connecticut Riders Group
    I just went through that with my commercial lawn mower. Water got in the engine somehow had white smoke so bad I couldn't see the mower. I had to change the oil 4 times before I didn't see water in the oil as it drained. Ran the engine at a idle for about 15 minutes and it started to clear up. Another 1/2 hour it was completely cleared up and running great.

+1000 to whats been said above, white smoke means your running water through it from somewhere. I also agree that if your going to add anything extra to your oil, you need to detuct that amount of oil from your refill so you only end up with 4qts (3.9) total.

Also another trick a lot of us use is after an oil change and you know the level is perfect, put the bike on the stand and pull the dipstick and then take a file and make a mark where the level is. That way you can always check it on the stand, and also know exactly how much it uses over time.

so i should change the oil asap but reg or synthetic, the wet spot was not under the bike but blowing out the exhaust and it was def oil if i put my hand under the pipes id get some on my hand thanks again everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Matt NJ View Post
    so i should change the oil asap but reg or synthetic, the wet spot was not under the bike but blowing out the exhaust and it was def oil if i put my hand under the pipes id get some on my hand thanks again everyone
    You can just pull the plug for a second or two and drain off a little, then just check the level and top it off as needed after.

Which type of oil you use your personal choice of course, but I can say 100% that synthetic did not and will not hurt any internal parts of an engine. There is no down side to it and I have run syn in all my cars,trucks & bikes for many years (and always will)

thundrhd is offline Dragon Slayer
    Missouri Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    Definitely change oil, when you drain oil currently in now, see if it has a whitish/milky color to it, that indicates water in the case. If it looks fine, then you can rule out any kind of cracks that antifreeze has made it through into the case. Do not use any kind of oil treatment. Any oil that is 10w40 dino or synth is fine, just not energy conserving, that will eat up the clutch.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information