Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

longest trp of my life

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Redrum 
#1 ·
Leaving June 19th from Decatur Illinois. Heading to West Virginia but taking the long route through Tennesee. I want to experience tail of the Dragon , Smokeys and Blueridge highway.

Anybody out there been in the smokeys? Need all the advise I can get, never been on a ride this long.

Thanks
Pete

#2 ·
Bring tools, moisture wicking shirts pack small, and you might not be able to hit the dragon itself:

Tail of the Dragon US129 Rock Slide Update posted below. The
Dragon continues to be open daily from 8am to 8pm, from the NC side
only. Estimated completion date is July 31, contractor will earn a $195,000 incentive if the roadway is
opened by July 1.

#3 ·
Bring tools, moisture wicking shirts pack small, and you might not be able to hit the dragon itself:

Tail of the Dragon US129 Rock Slide Update posted below. The
Dragon continues to be open daily from 8am to 8pm, from the NC side
only. Estimated completion date is July 31, contractor will earn a $195,000 incentive if the roadway is
opened by July 1.
Man thanks for the update, I had no idea. I do plan to travel light and bring tools but for the most part I'm just not that familiar with Tennesees rolling mountains or rding them. I think there should be some great other areas available. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Pete

#6 ·
its really awesome out there we had a meet and greet out there. if you need a place to stay i suggest the kickstand lodge. a real down to earth staff. they have a website just google them. you could also pm 05concordvtx he helps out there and could probably give you some info on the area as well.

#8 ·
You won't have a problem riding the Tail of the Dragon. You have to enter it on the NC side and not the TN side. You'll only be able to run about 9-10 miles of it before turning around...but it's fun anyway!!! Watch for TN State Troopers in the first 1/4 mile after entering the Dragon...You don't need to speed anyway...go the speed limit and enjoy the ride! On the way in, note where the photographers are so that you can "pose" on the way out for a good pic that you can get online...about $5-$6.

+100 on the Kickstand Lodge!!! Great people! Lots of fun! Easy to find!

There is another run around Knoxville (actually Oak Ridge which is pretty close) called The Snake which is pretty twisty as well. Might want to try that.

It's a shame that you are going so early...At the end of July there is Mountain Fest in Morgantown, WV. Supposed to be a great time and it's an up and coming event. I'm riding up with a few buds for 4 days!!!

No matter what you decide on...ride Safe and enjoy the ride!!! Pics are mandatory when you get back!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.