Fuel additives, yes or no?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel additives, yes or no?

JRM is offline Keep er safe!! Joe Washington State Riders Group

Fuel additives, yes or no?

OK, I'm a newbie, maybe someone already asked this question, do you use fuel additives such as STA-BAL? Every Time I have a problem with any of my motor driven machines, such as lawn mowers, rototillers, or....my motorcycle and call the repair shop they ALWAYS say it is bad gas. And ask if I use additives. Well, back then no, but now yes.

As far as the bike goes, the parts guys at the Honda dealer say that gas goes bad in less then 2 months. And suggested to add some STA-BAL with each fill up, which I do most of the time. That stuff is expensive, $10.50 per copy! But well worth it if it keeps my gas good and increases the Octane. OMG! Not that damn Octane thing again!

But, besides the VTX, I do put additives in my wood splitter, lawn mower and my grandsons RTV.

Joe

tods58 is offline 777 SLIGHTLY MORE EVIL Florida Riders Group
    Georgia Riders Group
    I don't have a problem with the gas going bad,my bike is not going to sit that long. 87 octane. I don't know whether additives work or not? I keep the bike maintained and ride the hell out of it.

eagleinthewind is offline Senior Member
    South Carolina Riders Group

North Carolina Riders Group
    Personally if you ride at least once everyother week I see little need for Sta-Bal, if setting up for a couple months in the winter then yes and as for added octane, the VTX is designed to run on 87, increasing that is a waste of money.

Gonzo1970 is offline Equito Passim Missouri Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group

Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    OK, I'm a newbie, maybe someone already asked this question, do you use fuel additives such as STA-BAL? Every Time I have a problem with any of my motor driven machines, such as lawn mowers, rototillers, or....my motorcycle and call the repair shop they ALWAYS say it is bad gas. And ask if I use additives. Well, back then no, but now yes/
    STA-BIL is used to elongate the natural life of fuel for storage.
    SeaFoam is more of the cleaner-type.

I will not store any fuel longer than 30 days without STA-BIL in it.

I put a dose of SeaFoam in the First Tank after running out the STA-BIL Tank from storage. Then I dose a tank about mid-way thru summer. Then I dose a tank in the fall before storing with STA-BIL for the winter.

As far as the bike goes, the parts guys at the Honda dealer say that gas goes bad in less then 2 months.
    2 months is a good "average" but it is literally impossible to be ceratin "When" fuel will go bad because you do not know:
    When it was created.
    How old it is when it is delivered to the gas station.
    How long its sat in the gas station's tanks.

I dont go more than 30 days without treating it with Stabilizer (Sta-Bil).

And suggested to add some STA-BAL with each fill up, which I do most of the time. That stuff is expensive, $10.50 per copy! But well worth it if it keeps my gas good and increases the Octane.
    Every full up is Total Overkill. (and STA-BIL doesnt increase Octane, nor do you WANT it increased)

But, besides the VTX, I do put additives in my wood splitter, lawn mower and my grandsons RTV.
    Joe
    It absolutely doesnt Hurt to put these additives in... as per directions.. But how often is the debateable issue here.

Do you NEED to put it in Every Single Fill Up? I say no. CAN you? Sure..

I run the stabilizer when storing over 30 days.
    I run Seafoam 3 times a year (and never mix STA-BIL Treated fuel with Seafoam!) once at the beginning, once in the middle, and once towards the end of the season.

I have never run into fuel related issues in over 75k miles ridden on multiple motorcycles following the above guidelines. (which reminds me, I oughta dose a tank with seafoam... getting towards the middle of summer!)

-Gonz
    Last edited by Gonzo1970; 06-21-2010 at 09:50 PM.

wanderingbear is offline Senior Member Florida Riders Group

I use some SeaFoam now and then but just to keep the injectors clean, I've never had the same gas in it for 2 months since I left the snow.

I listened recently to an AM radio talk show called “Ask the Expert” and there were two automotive mechanics answering questions guest’s callers were asking. Someone asked about additives for their vehicles and the hosts suggested using Sea foam regularly due to the addition of 10% ethanol now in the gas. They said there is no way around it that the ethanol corrodes the fuel injectors and carb-jets over time, but the Sea foam will help slow down the corrosion.
    I don't know if it is true or not.

epiphysis is online now team VTX cafe physician

Ohio Riders Group
    most fuel has additives...look at the pump when you fill up

BG-Pete is offline Senior Member
    Wisconsin Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    Seafoam for winter storage. Chevron Techron every Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by epiphysis View Post
    most fuel has additives...look at the pump when you fill up
    Well that goes to truth in advertising just because it says so, that doesn’t mean it is in there.

Many years ago back in the 70’s I drove a gasoline tanker for a major oil company. When loading the tanker truck with the different grades of gasoline the additives would be injected inline when loading, with what was called the Meco-Paks under the loading rack. The additive was the same for all grades the only thing that raised the octane was the amount of additive injected in the flow while loading each compartment.
    There were times when the additive packs were off calibration or inoperative, but we were unaware of that until calibrated at the end of the month. “Ouch”

It was maybe totally absent when borrowing light oil from other major’s when our barges were late arriving, or we just ran out because the refineries were behind on production.

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingbear View Post
    I use some SeaFoam now and then but just to keep the injectors clean, I've never had the same gas in it for 2 months since I left the snow.
    Seafoam is what I use also. Great stuff. I put it in all my motors! keeps em running good. I buy it in the gallon jug at advance to save some cash.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information