Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Front end feels wobbly on turns.

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Scooter Geezer 
#1 ·
I have been reading other threads that sound similar but what i have is the front end at higher speeds feels like it is bouncing and wobbly on turns. It so much the bars shake pretty good and doesnt feel safe at all. Also feels like it pulls a little to the right when going straight at any speed. The front tire is getting worn and unevenly. I know the first thing to do will be to replace the tire, but is wearing uneven a problem from the forks or shocks and being unaligned? I am fairly new to motorcycles so any help would be appreciated it.

Thanks.

#8 ·
I have been reading other threads that sound similar but what i have is the front end at higher speeds feels like it is bouncing and wobbly on turns. It so much the bars shake pretty good and doesnt feel safe at all. Also feels like it pulls a little to the right when going straight at any speed. The front tire is getting worn and unevenly. I know the first thing to do will be to replace the tire, but is wearing uneven a problem from the forks or shocks and being unaligned? I am fairly new to motorcycles so any help would be appreciated it.

Thanks.
I had the same thing happen on my Shadow at around 40k miles.. Turned out my wheel bearings were shot, which cupped the tire, which caused the problem you're experiencing..

I would have them take a good look at the bearings while the rim is off the bike.. when you're talkin $20 to $30 for new bearings, its absolutely cost effective to make sure you dont eat up a $100 tire because of the bearings.

-Gonz

#10 ·
Is one's safety worth $20-$30 bearings? ABSOLUTELY!

#9 ·
Well I want to thank everyone. It was as simple as checking the air pressure. I have had this bike since Aug, actually bought it from a pic and had them deliver it to me since I didnt even know how to ride a bike. I have put 3000 miles on it since then, and in that time I have changed the oil and plugs but not once checked the air pressure.

I had 25lbs in the front and 10 in the back. The 240 tire in the back was low profile so I never even suspected it could be low. But it drives like a new bike now. I had questioned its power and thought of getting a busa or something like that. But it feels great now, this whole time it felt like I was dragging a trailer on it.

It was so bad, that I had moved up my knee surgery last month because it was difficult to push backwards out of my garage.

Thanks again everyone.

#11 ·
It was as simple as checking the air pressure. I had 25lbs in the front and 10 in the back. The 240 tire in the back was low profile so I never even suspected it could be low. But it drives like a new bike now. I had questioned its power and thought of getting a busa or something like that. But it feels great now, this whole time it felt like I was dragging a trailer on it.

It was so bad, that I had moved up my knee surgery last month because it was difficult to push backwards out of my garage.

Thanks again everyone.
Yep! The number one cause of wobble and poor handling in bikes, low tire pressure.

Don't fell bad about the knee thing. I know a fella that traded his VTX for a HD ($28k) because he couldn't fix the wobble (low tire pressure).

Get well soon. Enjoy the bike. Welcome to the Cafe.

Geezer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.