Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

DIY luggage rack

7K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  jgoheen 
#1 ·
Since Indy is in less than a week, and my wife is going...i needed something to put a bag on. Since i am too cheap, or too creative to go buy the honda deluxe luggage rack...i made on up today....seems to be pretty strong and i am coating it this evening with truck bed liner to keep it durable. though i would share....the pics are with the backrest off...just because it was easier to take it on and for fitment. here she is....i will post some pics when it is done too.

let me know what you guys think....:choppersm

See less See more
#3 ·
i am just going to put some paint on it till i get back....chrome is going to be when i get back.

#7 ·
well i need it to match the backrest....and that is not on there much

#9 ·
took some pictures that that is back on the bike and has the paint and the backrest on it. i do not think that it turned out too bad....

it does not look as bad as i thought that it was going to black. i will get some good pics tomorrow in the light. work comes too early in the morning.

#12 ·
You know the best part is that you made it yourself and it looks really good.
Keep making things.
I painted mine with ordinary cheap can of $1.00 paint and it makes it easy to just touch it up. I'm taking mine off to do a little body putty work on mine over the winter so the paint job will look better.

#22 ·
i had about 15 dollars in metal in that thing and maybe abother 8 in paint or so. just took lots of time to get my angles right before i started the spot weld process. it has a few flaws but i did not think that it was too bad for a first attempt at it.

Looking forward to seeing it in person Saturday!

Mine came with a luggage rack...the pillion! Since Michelle won't ride with me, my luggage gets a padded seat!
erica would not ride for the longest time. this trip to indy is going to be her longest trip...so i am a little worried...but i guess that we will see how it goes.

Looks great, Jeremy. Looks nice and solid
thanks a lot man!

#20 ·
Looks great, Jeremy. Looks nice and solid

#21 ·
Looking forward to seeing it in person Saturday!

Mine came with a luggage rack...the pillion! Since Michelle won't ride with me, my luggage gets a padded seat!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.