Vibration

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vibration

Vibration

Just got bike back from having new tires installed. Now have vibration from 55-60 mph. Very bad when accelerating through that range. Also saw where oil had pushed out vent and rear end very hot to the touch. Any thoughts by you mechanically minded folks?

Donut is offline Senior Member Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Quote Originally Posted by elmerfud View Post
    Just got bike back from having new tires installed. Now have vibration from 55-60 mph. Very bad when accelerating through that range. Also saw where oil had pushed out vent and rear end very hot to the touch. Any thoughts by you mechanically minded folks?
    Oil coming out where!!!!

Donut

Bassdude404 is offline The guitar, not the fish!
    Ohio Riders Group
    Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Oil coming out where!!!!

Donut
    Yeah, sure don't want that on the back tire!!...

Oil+back tire=crash.....

Indiana Riders Group
    Vibration -- later.
    Right now we are more worried about the oil leak.

IMPORTANT:

I do this every time I get my X back from the stealer

If the air-box is ever removed by you or the stealer, there is a possibility the breather hose for the crankcase could get pinched. (This hose is the pressure relief for the crankcase, so pressure dose not build up.)You could have a pinched hose.

If it is pinched, pressure will build up in the crankcase and blow the seal out around the shifter lever.
    If this seal is ever blown out, you can put it back in by tapping it back in.
    A simple way to check is:
    Take the air cleaner cover off.
    Take the dipstick out and lay a 3x3 single layer of tissue paper over the opening.
    Take a common drinking straw and hold it over the smaller hole in the air-box, (the one that sticks out), and give it a puff of air. If it blows the tissue off, you’re OK. If not, the hose is pinched behind the air-box.

If the hose is kinked or blocked how long does it take before you start leaking oil as you're riding. As the engine warms up the oil expands and build up pressure in the crankcase and if the hose is pinched it build up enough pressure to blow the seal out around the shift lever. You just have to put it back in. I have heard of some that have driven many miles without any damage except for a mess to clean up and a dangerous oil covered rear tire.

Donut, Doug,Coloma, Mi.
    ************************************************** ****************************************

Don't feel bad. It has happens to a lot of Xriders out there and i have been posting the same message since 2004 to all of them. Some have rode their bikes for miles before they ever found out about it with no damage to the bike. Some were sick thinking they had done major damage to their bike and was very happy that i saved their B*&&. And not to take it to dealer and getting a big bill. I also know of a few dealers that have posted my post on the shop wall.

Donut

This oil is coming out of the rear end/shaft drive. There is a silver cap on top of the housing that I thought was a vent. It may just be a cap to add oil. But I could see where oil had run down the side of the housing. Also had oil splattered on the inside of the rear wheel. Do they have to lose some of the oil when they pull the rear wheel? They said they had a hard time removing the rear axle. With the vibration and oil leak I'm worried they didn't put something together right and/or damaged something. The vibration is very noticable when you accelerate from 55 to 65.

Sorry, I'll be more clear in my future post. That is good info on the breather hose. Forgive me if I ask stupid questions sometimes, the last time I owned a bike was way before the internet, I'm just getting back to riding after about 30 yrs.

Bassdude404 is offline The guitar, not the fish!
    Ohio Riders Group
    Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    Something's not right...I had my bike apart, with the rear wheel out of the bike for about 2 months, and not one drop of lube from the final drive assembly....

Indiana Riders Group
    There is only 4oz of grease in the rear end housing. The cap is only a vent hose and if you try to remove it you will break it. Are you sure the oil isn't coming from farther forward and blowing back there.

Donut

Definitely came from the vent. Had a path from the vent all the way down to a drip at the bottom of the housing. I once had a gearbox that was overheating and would blow the oil out the top vent. Is there anything they could have done when putting the wheel back on that could cause this?

Took bike to another shop to have the tire balance checked. Apparently the first shop only charged me for balancing. Also the left rear shock lost the top bolt on the way to the shop on the trailer. Can only guess the first shop I took it to took the shock off for some reason. Anyway bike is riding smoothe again. Not sure about the leak, maybe they took the rear end off and overfilled it. Thanks for the replies.

Charlie D is offline Senior Member
    Washington State Riders Group
    Oregon Riders Group
    Quote Originally Posted by elmerfud View Post
    Took bike to another shop to have the tire balance checked. Apparently the first shop only charged me for balancing. Also the left rear shock lost the top bolt on the way to the shop on the trailer. Can only guess the first shop I took it to took the shock off for some reason. Anyway bike is riding smoothe again. Not sure about the leak, maybe they took the rear end off and overfilled it. Thanks for the replies.
    Don't ever go back to the first shop not even to give them crap.

You should download the service manual and do the tire swap yourself from now on, this way you can inspect things and do it correctly.

If they did the front you need to align the axle per the book.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information