Gas in the vicinity of the BlueRidge Parkway. This question is asked alot... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas in the vicinity of the BlueRidge Parkway. This question is asked alot...

sumdatx is offline Deplorable Member
    Virginia Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sad day coming up for the BRP in Virginia: 26 Nov 2012. That's the day the Peaks of Otter lodge/restraunt will be closed for the winter, and maybe longer. Thats mile marker 86. To my knowledge, its the first time its closed. Seems the people having the concession to run it decided to retire and the National Park Service/Parkway Superintendant dropped the ball: no backup plan. I hope its notlike what has happened to a favorite stop along Otter Creek (mm 65), been closed 2 years now. Same people didn't want to run it anymore and the NPS has just left it closed.

I checked with some of the employees, asked if anything like this has happened in North Carolina (where the Superintendant has offices) and they said nothing has closed down there. Don't know all the details, but based on what I've heard, this just plain stinks.

So, if you plan to ride any along the Parkway up here in Virginia, pack along a roll of toilet paper for use behind a big tree. I ride the parkway during the winter when its not closed for snow/ice. Being able to see up thru the trees gives you a totally different perspective. Still a nice peaceful ride, two wheels or four.

tom

Deno is offline Justified Member
    Tennessee Riders Group
    Georgia Riders Group
    South Carolina Riders Group
    North Carolina Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dang, we love that place

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Sad to see so many great places close ,I hope the economy picks up so we dont lose our more National Park service venues.
    I also enjoy riding the BRP during winter .It can be cold but the views on a cold clear day are spectacular.

4. Remove Advertisements
    VTX Cafe
    Advertisements

sumdatx is offline Deplorable Member
    Virginia Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's really a bummer, lost jobs, great places to stop and take a break are gone. They closed the restraunt at Otter Creek 2 years ago under similiar circumstances -- same vender. The BRP superintendent and National Park Service have not done one thing about it. That place was full of people (and bikers) all the time. And this takes the Parkway away from seniors that rely on a place to use a restroom. The rest of us can just bring along our on roll of tp and find a big enough tree !!! Mile marker 35 has an old restraunt closed many years ago that is now offices/classrooms for park rangers. It has a nice clean and warm restroom open all year -- Whetstone Gap is the name. I love riding the parkway in the winter as you can really see the lay of the land and the smokey Blue Ridge mountains are a lot more clear. Sad to see something so neglected that people without a lot of money can still get out and enjoy. Yeah, I do love tghe parkway, and I do hate government mismanagement.

tom

MarcK is offline Verified member Tennessee Riders Group
    Georgia Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rode the dragon in Early Nov. Can't wait for the weather to get better to go again

Post Thanks / Like
    hey!Do you know if 2012 best swiss watcheswill come.Never waste the opportunities that come up, because the same opportunity will not come twice. let us have a elegant life! I want to share with who love the life.

Bassdude404 is offline The guitar, not the fish!
    Ohio Riders Group
    Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hehe View Post
    hey!Do you know if 2012 best swiss watcheswill come.Never waste the opportunities that come up, because the same opportunity will not come twice. let us have a elegant life! I want to share with who love the life.
    Piss off spammer...Post reported again....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information