Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

fuel petcock

6K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  ridedawg 
#1 ·
hey guys, stupid question, occasionally i forget to open my fuel valve b/4 i take off, next thing i know i ride for hours and somehow the engine is getting fuel
dealer told me it's because there is a there is a vacuum line supplying the fuel to engine.

why the petcock?

#2 ·
The '03 is the only year the 1300 had a fuel pump. There is no vacuum line suppling fuel.

The Petcock still has to be in the on or reserve position for the engine to get fuel. I guess the most logical answer is so you can shut it off to remove the tank and to let you know when you have a gallon of gas left.

The dealer is wrong again as usual.

#3 ·
hey guys, stupid question, occasionally i forget to open my fuel valve b/4 i take off, next thing i know i ride for hours and somehow the engine is getting fuel
dealer told me it's because there is a there is a vacuum line supplying the fuel to engine. why the petcock?

I would think that if the petcock is off, you would only be riding for about 2 or 3 minutes... if that...

#4 ·
i have the 03 so i do have a fuel pump.

however even when i leave the petcock in the off position i can ride for as long as i want too, i just bought the bike this past year and it only had 485 miles on it, like new

is it possible that valve is bad and just lets gas flow freely?

#5 · (Edited)
Hmm, something doesn't sound right here...

Have you ever taken off the tank and then opened the petcock up to see if gas comes out... of have you taken it off and gas is coming out, despite the petcock being turned off?

My current ride has no petcock, but I believe that if they are turned all the way forward or all the way backwards and they are still going to work fine.. straight down is off... I think...

Do you guys have them really turned off? I mean how could you keep running for more than only a few moments, if they are turned off?

I'm confused here... something seems odd...

Spoiler

#11 ·
i don't ever turn my petcock off on the kawi (never turned it off on the X when i had it either)...come to think of it, i don't turn it off on any of the 4-wheelers either....got one 4-wheeler that's 4 years old and the petcock has never been turned of on it and i bought it new, the others are 3 years old and they've never been turned off......then again, i don't jack the front end of my cars up or tilt the bike to change the oil, so what the hell do i know....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.