Question Trying to cut off/Losing power @ high speeds

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to cut off/Losing power @ high speeds

Question Trying to cut off/Losing power @ high speeds

Hey guys and girls, I have a weird problem that scared the crap out of me today. So my friends and I were out riding all day and taking back roads for most of this trip from Spartanburg to Columbia SC. It was a great day and great riding with friends.
    Now for the problem that I ran into. We ran around 50-60mph a lot of the riding today so not real fast, but a good pace. Now we were running out of daylight after eating supper so we said that instead of the back roads to come home we would just do the interstate route. So we headed out and were running about 70-80mph. And we were going a pretty good clip for quite a few miles, though I am not sure how long exactly. Probably 25 miles or so and my bike started acting like it was not getting enough fuel and I had just filled up about 20 miles back and had not hit reserve yet when I did. Still the bike was loosing power and fast. I tried giving her more gas and she acted more like she was either getting too much gas, too much air, too little air, or too little gas and the engine shut off so I pulled in the clutch and tried hitting the starter and nothing. So I made it over into the shoulder of the interstate and had the clutch pulled in and she started back up. So I goosed her real good for a few minutes and she acted fine so I got back in traffic and took off. I had this exact same issue another 3 times before making back to a local highway where I was doing 45mph of so and she acted fine the rest of the way home. I did try cutting back my highway speed to around 65-70mph after the first hiccup, but she kept having the issue until the back roads and slower speeds. I am totally lost and don't know what to check or do. She fires up fine all the time as a side note. I again want to tell ya'll this is the guy who needs a bike stuff for dummies book. I am an IT guy and have very little mechanical knowledge, but I am trying to learn.
    So please help me. Thanks in advance guys and girls.
    Jody

Charlie D is offline Senior Member
    Washington State Riders Group
    Oregon Riders Group
    first thing to do is pull the seat and tighten the battery cables with a wrench or socket.

And a side note if it did not do it before the fuel stop you may have got some bad gas

lamaybl5711 is offline Senior Member
    Maryland Riders Group
    Virginia Riders Group
    North Carolina Riders Group
    I'm in the same boat as you for knowledge. The advice I can give is only from what I've read on this site. First check your battery connections...Tighten them with a socket or wrench not a screw driver. That has been an answer for some similar problems if I remember correctly. The other possibility is the wires harness that connects above the battery. One of the wires there tends to break inside the insulation (unfortunately, I'm not sure which but I want to say the green wire). I'm sure someone that knows what to do will be along to help soon. Good luck.

Donut is offline Senior Member Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    OK; Pull the seat and on top of the battery is the ECM and look closely at the green and black wires going into it. See if they are very tight because this is a common problem withe the VTX. The wires vibrating have been known in the past to break. Look CLOSELY.

Donut/Doug

Alright guys/girls I have looked at what you all said and I can't see anything that looks loose or broken. I did break out a 10mm socket and phillips head screwdriver last night and removed the battery cover and checked the cables on the battery connections and nothing seemed to be loose. It never did really tighten up though the bolts just kept on snugly turning so I stopped after a minute or so. But even before that I tried to wiggle the wires and nothing moved before or after the wiggling. I did not see any broken wires going into the "ecm" either. I have some pics for everyone to look at below and ya'll tell me if you see something that I missed. I did not get her out and get over 70mph or nothing, but I have this gut feeling that the issue may still be there, but it's untested right this minute. But yeah keep the help coming guys/girls I am open to most any idea. Thanks for the help. Jody

Couple of questions?

1. How long has your airbox been cut?
    2. Did it run OK at those speeds before and just started to act up?

Off the cuff it sounds like lean surging caused by wind buffeting, followed by a carb flooding to killing your engine.

I just put the Spyker modded cover on late last year before really riding any. I rode her one time after changing the air box cover but still was only doing 50 mph maybe because I did a local Toys for Tots run and did mostly 30mph if that the entire ride which wasn't but 10 miles or so and 2000 bikes. The air box has not been modded in any other way though.

Second I had not had my bike long before my accident last year and I don't think that I ever got up to those speeds, but once before maybe? (I ride like an old man) But I did right a pretty long ride that time and I don't remember her acting up that time at all. Not to mention now that you ask it was to the cafe's tech session last spring down in Elgin, SC was the only time that I was cooking the gas that much.
    At the tech session we did do the de-smogger mod and I put the glens garage permanent a/f screw in too. But I adjusted the a/f screw to the recommended specs here on the site too. But could that be a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by dumbcomputers View Post
    Couple of questions?

1. How long has your airbox been cut?
    2. Did it run OK at those speeds before and just started to act up?

Off the cuff it sounds like lean surging caused by wind buffeting, followed by a carb flooding to killing your engine.

Charlie D is offline Senior Member
    Washington State Riders Group
    Oregon Riders Group
    You may need to add 1 shim per the scar write up, sounds like lean surging to me.

dbwhalley is offline Senior Member North Carolina Riders Group
    There might also be a pinched vent/fuel line. A friend of mine had that exact same problem. Runs fine at slow speeds but bogs a lot at high speeds. Turns out the higher speed caused his line to pinch shut. It's easy to get it twisted putting on the tank and a quick check to see if its the problem as well...

Well ya'll I looked at the fuel line coming out of the petcock to the splitter thing and I could not see any pinches or anything there. But I did go buy some washers from Radio Crack and added another shim to my carb SCAR mod from last year raising it from 2 to 3. I have not yet gotten to take her out to the interstate nearest me, but I will try ASAP. I just didn't want ya'll to think that I had dropped this. I really appreciate the feedback and will let ya'll know what I find, hopefully in the next few days.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information