Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

LED laws

8K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  jailbird1300 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what the laws are in arkansas when it comes to running LED kits on your bike?

#4 ·
Most states just have the standard of no colors that look as though they are emergency lights (red, white, blue)....

#18 ·
Thanks for all the input. Does anyone have blue on their bike and if so have you had any problems from the authorities?
Blue here.
I am in PA and the rule is, as long as they are on solid while the bike is moving, it okay.
If I am at a Bike night, show etc, I can have it parked and have them flashing.
I ride all the time at night with them on solid and not a single issue. The whole reason for installing them was to have a lot of night visibility of ME.

#6 ·
Ive had Green on my bike for around a year... no hassles at all.

Then again, I ride with the cops, they all know me... but, I have asked, and they said Any color BUT Red and Blue and you're fine. (Illinois)

-Gonz

#9 ·
I know that Bassdude (Illinois) has said several times that he has had no problems (so far) running his blue lights on his bike..

I chose to just go white with my bike...

#11 ·
OOPS...Sorry my bad...:harder::spank::spank::banghead:....LOL

UMMM..with my "geographic knowledge", hopefuly I will make it to WV this summer...

#13 ·
In most states, not all, it is ok to run any collor as long as it does not interfer with your vision, does not chase or blink, and for red and blue the light source itself (i.e. the bulb) does not face directly forward.

No guarantee a cop will not stop you but even if he says anything just offer to turn them off and then push the off button. Most will not mess with you unless you give them a reason. so just be nice and dont argue. Check with your local DMV or State Police.

#15 ·
It is always safe just to ask your local PD. That way you can ask about the in's and out's of the law.
I personaly don't have them. Thought about it but it comes down to I'm not running around that much at night so I can't see spending the money.

#16 ·
Memphis PD popped his lights on me one night when I was turning into gas station. I pulled into a spot and he got out and approached. I was nervous because I knew I had not been speeding and had used a blinker. He mentioned my red LEDs. I thought "damn getting a ticket I got to go fight in court" I know it is not illegal in TN. well he just wanted to know where I got them and how much they were. I laughed and told him the info. He asked how hard to put in. I told him how and he groaned. Said he was nervous about electrical. One week later I was at his house installing them and drinking a beer.

#20 ·
There are no specific laws in Arkansas in regards to colored LED lights on motorcycles that I know of. The only place it addresses red, blue or green lights is in section 27-36-208 where it states, No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device thereon displaying a red, blue, or green light visible "from directly in front of the center thereof" in any case the law states these lights may not be displayed on the front of the "vehicle". Also make sure they are not flashing...that is against the law and will get you in trouble.

#21 ·
I would like to put LED's on my bike this winter, but with a solid black bike with a lot of chrome, not sure of what color would look best...

Any suggestions? What are you riders of the Black bikes putting on yours...?

Not sure of the laws here in NC either, but need to determine what color lights I would want first...

#23 ·
Before I installed my LEDs, I went to the local police station here in Rogers, AR. They said pretty much what everybody on here has said: If they don't make people think you're an "emergency" vehicle, you'll most likely be OK. Since this is an old thread, what did you decide? BTW, welcome to the Cafe, Maverick66.

#26 ·
I put Red ones on mine to match the tail light. yeah, that's it. and it matches the red paint.

now with the black bags and fairing with the red paint, i'm wondering if I should add a black light to the red lights.

hmmmmmm, decisions decisions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.