Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Airbox Breather Tube (aka OIL LEAK!!!)

61K views 56 replies 28 participants last post by  MPD193 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
For those that work on their own bikes or take them to a stealer.

IMPORTANT:
Do not try to block the seal from coming out or you could cause serious damage as it acts like a relief valve.
Here is a copy of a post that I have been posting for at least seven years.
This is about the hose behind the bottom of the airbox.

I do this every time I get my X back from the stealer

If the air-box is ever removed by you or the stealer, there is a possibility the breather hose for the crankcase could get pinched. (This hose is the pressure relief for the crankcase, so pressure dose not build up.)You could have a pinched hose.

If it is pinched, pressure will build up in the crankcase and blow the seal out around the shifter lever.
If this seal is ever blown out, you can put it back in by tapping it back in.
A simple way to check is:
Take the air cleaner cover off.
Take the dipstick out and lay a 3x3 single layer of tissue paper over the opening.
Take a common drinking straw and hold it over the smaller hole in the air-box, (the one that sticks out), and give it a puff of air. If it blows the tissue off, you’re OK. If not, the hose is pinched behind the air-box.

If the hose is kinked or blocked how long does it take before you start leaking oil as you're riding. As the engine warms up the oil expands and build up pressure in the crankcase and if the hose is pinched it build up enough pressure to blow the seal out around the shift lever. You just have to put it back in. I have heard of some that have driven many miles without any damage except for a mess to clean up and a dangerous oil covered rear tire.

Donut, Doug,Coloma, Mi.
:patriot:

See less See more
#31 ·
This may have happened to me

Donut/All,

I'm, again, new to the motorcycle owner's community (after 20 non-riding years), hence my user id.

I purchased a 2005 VTX1300R, with only 1700 miles, last Saturday from a dealer. Yesterday, I experienced a fairly good size oil leak, whereby, the back-end tried to get out from under me when taking off from a stop sign. When I pulled over to the side of the road, an oil puddle formed within a few seconds, then the oil light came on. Fortunately, I was only a mile from home and went ahead and drove it back. Not knowing what might be wrong (and after riding it only 20 miles), today, I had it towed to the dealer. I have not received a phone call yet to tell me the problem and the cost to fix, but based on what has been described, it sounds more than a coincidence, as the dealer did perform service on the motorcycle prior to reselling.

Can you confirm that my situation sounds the same? If the service department comes back with an expensive resolution, should I suggest your test/remedy?

Sincere thanks for any help/feedback.

#32 ·
Go back to post 1 and do the tissue test. I'm betting 99.9% the tube is kinked and the seal just needs to be put back in and un-kinked - there has not been damage so there should be no big bill $$. Actually none if they had their hands on the bike. They should fix it free.
There is no damage done except loss of oil an to put the same seal back in.
If you wan print my instructions out and hand a copy to the service manager and the repair man. Or bite the the bullet and do it yourself. If that tissue doesn't blow off it's plugged/kinked.

Doug

#35 ·
This forum is just incredible. My intro post mentioned my initial ride home with my '07 VTX 1300R, only to discover an oil leak. In my case, I rode from Bel Air, MD to an exit off of I-95 in Fredericksburg, 165 miles away. I had no idea when the leak started or how much oil escaped. I also had no problem with control, so my guess is that the oil was insufficient to render my rear tire unstable. Either that, or my Irish luck and guardian angel worked to keep me safe.

While I was trouble shooting the leak and prior to my finding this group, I found the protruding seal. I pushed it back in and started the bike again, letting it idle for just a minute or two. Then I wanted to check the oil level and was surprised to feel the "whoosh" of air pushing the dipstick up and away from where it is seated. I am no mechanic, so I didn't think too much of this issue.

I went to Honda House in Richmond, Va today to order another seal, thinking the seal was bad. I will just keep that one on hand since it was a pre-paid item which the parts guy ordered. He was not surprised when I described the oil leak so it seems that the design of the hose is less than perfect.

Anyway, I want to offer my thanks to the people who originated this group and I look forward to many more years of coming back here for info and more.

#36 ·
Then I wanted to check the oil level and was surprised to feel the "whoosh" of air pushing the dipstick up and away from where it is seated. I am no mechanic, so I didn't think too much of this issue.
No mechanic either but I don't think your supposed to pull stick on running bike.
Not sure if it would damage it but you might get hot oil on you too.

I guess my tube is good. Oil in airbox after my 360 mile ride.

#37 ·
You would be surprised with how many I have helped on this since I started posting it since 2004. and helping. I know there are many more that I don't even know about. It feels good that I have been able to help so many.
Donut/Doug

#40 ·
The oil found in the air-box is because the crankcase is vented into the air-box and the oily moisture is what accumulates in the air-box and is completely normal. If you make lots of short trips in cool weather it can build up quite quickly. At the bottom rear of the box is a drain.

#42 ·
I found a surprise a day or so after buying mine. I I discovered a handful of seeds from some critter- likely a squirrel or chipmunk in the bottom of the airbox and the crankcase drain was filled with them too. Maintenance wasn't a strong suit of the previous owner! Filter was in perfect shape although slightly dirty.
There was oil around the bottom of the box and gasket.

#44 ·
As a newbie, I got this type leak and thought my bike was toast. Thanks to Donut and the rest of the forum I settled down and fixed it. Instructions were perfect and only cost me an oil change. I will continue to do that test every time that airbox is touched. Thanks guys

#47 ·
As a newbie VTX'r myself, I appreciate the great advise. I've had mine about 2 weeks and up here in Canada it will still be about 2 months before I can get it out on the road. bought some sea foam today and new spark plugs, oil and filter. does anyone have good advise about where to start? Valve gaps.... not sure if there is a particular sequence to follow or just pick something and continue on... thanks in advance for all your help.

#48 ·
Thanks for the info, I found that my crankcase breather hose was kinked after putting the air box back on after removing the carb for inspection and cleaning. As has been stated the shifter shaft seal was blown out just as I got home from a very short ride. Luckily it had just happened as I arrived home.

#50 ·
Is your par valve still on the bike and they just plugged the hose, if so not good way to do it. The proper way is to install the block off plates and plug the stub on the back of the air box . Just plugging will create a gummy mess in the hoses and above the reed valves and it will rust in time.

Happy holidays ..
Donut/Doug

#55 ·
Hello everyone. It was this discussion that made me decide to join this group. I am about to buy a vtx1300 c. The guy told me that he just got the carbs cleaned recently and he saw a little oil the last time he started it. I'm confident that it is just the vacuum hose crimped. The bike only has 7000 miles on it and I believe I'm getting a good deal on it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.