Fuel Mixture Screw???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Mixture Screw???

Fuel Mixture Screw???

Hey all. My x1300 is running real rich. I had a shadow A.C.E. that did the same thing and I was able to adjust the mixture on it with no problem. I can't seem to locate the screw on th X's carb though. Anybody know exactly where its located? Thx

It's a D-shaped screw behind the fuel bowl near where the carb connects to the intake manifold.

Do your self a favour and get Glen's permanent A/F adjuster.
    www.glensvtxgarage.com

wanderingbear is offline Senior Member Florida Riders Group

Are you sure it's rich these bikes tend to run lean.

Donut is offline Senior Member Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    You are not running rich especially if the bike is stock. The choke is making you think it is running rich. Read this.
    I don’t know why but it seems that a lot of bikes run fine when new but after a couple years they seem to start having these same symptoms. It's sounding more like it is running lean and that the A/F needs to be adjusted. I would consider ordering Glen's Permanent A/F adjuster. It's a little hard to adjust without it. This way you don’t have to remove the gas tank and the air breather box to make any fine adjustment. The knob hangs down beside the idle adjustment on the right side between the lower part of the cylinder's.
    Most of the time you will not need the choke.
    The choke in not a choke, it is an enhancer and dumps a whole lot of fuel in fast. These bikes are set lean from the factory to pass EPA and that is why you are having to use the choke / enhancer. I would suggest you open the A/F up a little more. It is hard to get at and I would recommended you install Glen's permanent A/F adjuster, it makes adjusting much easier.
    The factory sets the A/F at 1 5/8 for the EPA. --” your problem”

A/F should be set at 2.5
    This will save you a heck of a lot trouble.
    Hers a link;
    Glen's VTX Garage
    http://www.glensvtxgarage.com/

Donut

I've read a single report somewhere about a single rider routinely using a D-adjuster tool to change the A/F setting from the left side. He's a better man than I (and I have the tool!)
    About the only way to get at the thing is from the right side, after removing the airbox.
    (If somebody knows a simple and reliable method of reattaching the vacuum hoses to the rear of the stock airbox, please post it! It's been a time-consuming PITA the couple of times I've had it off.)

wanderingbear is offline Senior Member Florida Riders Group

I have the tool too if anyone around here needs to adjust their carb, just let me know.

I agree 100% that your more likely running very lean vs rich if your bike is stock.
    Here's where to find the A/F screw

Thanks for all the info. the reason I say it is running rich is because when I took off the airbox there was gas in it. and when I fired her up (after sitting all night) she spat gas out of carb. not alot, just when revving her. It had back pressure pop with stock pipes and just changed to cobra slip ons. still has pop. dealer said that it shouldn't need to be jetted. Does that sound right?

Donut is offline Senior Member Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    You might be running lean on the low end ant that can cause the pooing. Are you using the choke and maybe fouling the plugs a little with the choke/enhancer. You don't need jetting with your setup.
    I'd add Glen's permanent A/F adjuster.
    Read this general post that I have.

I don’t know why but it seems that a lot of bikes run fine when new but after a couple years they seem to start having these same symptoms. It's sounding more like it is running lean and that the A/F needs to be adjusted. I would consider ordering Glen's Permanent A/F adjuster. It's a little hard to adjust without it. This way you don’t have to remove the gas tank and the air breather box to make any fine adjustment. The knob hangs down beside the idle adjustment on the right side between the lower part of the cylinder's.
    Most of the time you will not need the choke.
    The choke in not a choke, it is an enhancer and dumps a whole lot of fuel in fast. These bikes are set lean from the factory to pass EPA and that is why you are having to use the choke / enhancer. I would suggest you open the A/F up a little more. It is hard to get at and I would recommended you install Glen's permanent A/F adjuster, it makes adjusting much easier.
    The factory sets the A/F at 1 5/8 for the EPA. --” your problem”

A/F should be set at 2.5
    This will save you a heck of a lot trouble
    Hers a link;
    Glen's VTX Garage
    http://www.glensvtxgarage.com/

Donut

Quote Originally Posted by CoJoe View Post
    Thanks for all the info. the reason I say it is running rich is because when I took off the airbox there was gas in it. and when I fired her up (after sitting all night) she spat gas out of carb. not alot, just when revving her. It had back pressure pop with stock pipes and just changed to cobra slip ons. still has pop. dealer said that it shouldn't need to be jetted. Does that sound right?
    It's kinda backwards to what you would think, when it's spitting gas out of the carb into the airbox that's a tell tail sign that it's running lean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information