Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

running rich

15K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  rcook52459 
#1 ·
weather sucks here in buffalo ny. mid 40's and rain. only 200 miles on bike so far :( anyways, I know this question has been beat to death with a VERY large stick but here goes. I have an 07 1300r with lots of goodies on it when i bought it 2 months ago. It seems to be runing a little rich. has Kury Pro-R and stock pipes although I believe they were gutted. ( a lot louder than stock) no holes drilled that i could find. bike runs great. occasional pop on decel. was worse but better after changing bad vacuum line to hyper. would like to know what to look for and how to fix . i have to assume it has been jetted . haven't pulled carb off to check yet.what is the Pair valve mod i have been reading about? How would I know if it has been done? if you guys can post links and pics or anything to help me out that would be great. Thanks in advance

#3 ·
Paired valve is just like it sounds. It ads alot of hoses to to the system so its hard to miss. One hose does into the back of the intake (not sure where on a hypercharger...). then you will see some other hoses and reed valves connected to the top of the engine. You remove this whole system and put block off plates over the open area. The whole thing is pointless to have, it was just to pass emissions. I still havent done mine so I cant give any specifics besides saying Im sure there is a good write up on here.

The paired valve removal will help with any decel popping but not so much with running rich. You may want to look into the Scar mod or a Factory Pro Jet Kit for that. I just did the scar mod and it helped tremendously.

And like he said decel popping would be more present in a lean condition than a rich one. If it has been jetted but not properly tuned it could be lean, if it doesnt have a jet or Scar mod its definitely lean.

I dont know which you should do first but dont do both together. If the bike doesnt run right there are now to many reasons to diagnose. Here are some write up links.

Scar Mod
http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=3079

Scar Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRgkX05P2io

Lean/Rich Diagnose and Fix
http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=12511

Paired Valve (its for a Fury but same setup)
http://www.furyforums.com/forum/fury-diy-area/3488-pair-valve-removal.html

#4 ·
pulled plugs and verified. it is running rich. popping on decel is very occasional only happened twice since replacing bad hose. like i said, I know this has been beat to death. I have spent hours reading these forums. and am trying to get links together in one place so that i can print them out. of course i would prefer not to tear my bike down cause the weather is gonna break any day now LOL. rain for the next week :(

#10 ·
pulled plugs and verified. it is running rich. popping on decel is very occasional only happened twice since replacing bad hose. like i said, I know this has been beat to death. I have spent hours reading these forums. and am trying to get links together in one place so that i can print them out. of course i would prefer not to tear my bike down cause the weather is gonna break any day now LOL. rain for the next week :(
Do a Google search for a small application called "Cute PDF Writer" download and install it, then review the "Read Me File" on how to use it.

Hint when you run the installation and it says it is finished, but says it needs an additional download tell it yes to proceed.

Very neat little application for saving text or images on screen to a PDF document.
It acts like a printer, but isn’t. It allows you to save all the data to a file for printing later.

#8 ·
The SCAR mod usually Richens Up a Lean Condition. With the Air Breather you have, it has probably been jetted already, andyou may or may not need to change a jet. First thing i would do is adjust the AF in a little to see what affect that has on the running, and the spark plugs. IF it continues to be rich, i would take the slide out and see what needle and shims that are in it, stock with shims or FP or DJ on some notch. Remove a shim or drop the needle lower by changeing a clip higher.

#9 ·
Hyper charger says to me a 65 pilot jet way to big and a 185 main jet way to small

You should have a 58 pilot a 210 or 215 main and the clip on the needle should be 3 1/2 to 4 A/F should be around 2 turns open.

Right now you would need to close down the A/F to under 1 turn open and you will still be rich on the low end and lean on the top end with the small main jet.

#12 ·
ok. pulled carb. main jet -185. slow jet- 65. 1 shim under needle. and a good thing i pulled teh carb. its filthy!! stock jets are 195 & 55. so should i go with 210 & 58 as per charlie d or another size? i'm thinkin 2 shims or should i use 3? where do i get the plates for the pair valve and the tool for the A/F?

#16 ·
195 stock or DJ? If its stock then your fine and do the scar mod should work fine with your setup. Try the 58 pilot first.

With the scar mod and 2, maybe 3 shims and the AF 2.5. If you need a little more turn in 1/8th increments.

I would order the plates online. Dealer does not mean better quality.

#21 ·
finally got time to work on the bike. went with 200 main, 60 pilot, 2 shims and A/F 2 1/2 turns. smells a lot better. plugs aren't wet. haven't ridden it yet cuz its still rainin. gonna change the plugs again so i see exactly what they look like. they are still pretty black. Pair valve mod not done yet cuz plates haven't been shipped out yet. ordered last monday. pissin me off but what can you do. bike seems to be running ok but getting some slight stumbling/popping when holding the throttle steady at higher rpm's. I really love where the A/F screw is. how the hell do you get in there to turn it? i made a tool out of a flex adjuster for old quadrajets seems to work but turns hard. can't tell if i'm actually turning the screw. seems to bottom out after about a quarter turn in either direction. i found where i can buy a thumb screw replacement for it but would it be worth it. i dont think that i can get in there to turn that one either. any thoughts? thanks :hmm2:

#23 ·
ordered permanent A/F tool. should have that and blockoff plates by the end of the week. any thoughts on the breaking up at high rpms? stay with the 200 and 60 and just play with the A/F or change sizes when i have the carb out again? any of you guys live in the buffalo area that can give me a hand?

#24 ·
update :)

final update. went with 200 main (still cant find any larger), 58 pilot, A/F is 3 turns out. plugs look good. runs great. seems a little flat when i crack the throttle at high speed. still need to use the choke when cold. now, a question. I want to change the risers because i find myself slouching when i ride. I am 5'11". thinking about going with 4" rise 1 1/2" pull. any thoughts? also looking for some 2 to 1 pipes. like the HK sideburners but they are too expensive and after checking out videos on utube, I dont like the sound of them. sounds like a large lawn tractor. I also like the looks of the stock pipes. any thoughts or suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.