Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

why did Honda stop making 1800

84K views 154 replies 71 participants last post by  ole geezer1953 
#1 ·
what was the reason that Honda stopped Making the 1800 model...price..demand what

#3 ·
I think that HD had something to do with it.. I believe the folks over at HD paid off Honda to stop this beast that was going to take over the world and cut into their t shirt profits...

That is also why you don't see as many nice VTX shirts as those other guys have...

Yup, big pay off scheme...

Oh yeah, and Welcome to the Cafe..

Spoiler

#5 ·
I never understood it myself. Why the 1300 outsold the 1800 in such great numbers?? Beats me. Now Honda's newer lines, Fury, Sabre and Stateline are only available in the 1300. There is a market for the bigger engines, Victory, Kawi and Yamaha all offer engines at least that big if not bigger. I still believe Honda will release and 1800 on another platform fairly soon.

#24 ·
I'm pretty sure that the Honda 1300 is putting out more HP than most of the others. I know it's more powerful than the Kaw 1500. I almost bought one until I started to really research them all.

Yup, sure did...I could've bought a really nice 1800 from a co-worker for ALOT less than I paid for my 1300, but didn't want it...I got exactly what I wanted...:cool:
I love my 1300

:mosh:

#6 ·
i was in Canada last year had read an article that gave the stats on bike riding most riders only ride for three years pick it up again for a short time.And the second bike is a little bigger "1300" thats the demand riders that stay riding progressively move up "1800" some of us just like it fast instead of making a 1300 faster we start with a 1800 and make it fester.

#7 ·
I did look at the 1800 before buying the 1300. Liked the 1300 better for a few reasons. I would stick with the 1300 if given the choice today. Bigger isn't always better and I think a lot of people felt that way when comparing the two, which is one reason 1800 sales languished.

#9 ·
Used to be a day when a 750 was a big bike, and a 1000 was ridiculous big...My 1300 has almost twice the engine of a 750, and I really don't need 500 more CC's....Apparently alot of people feel the same way I do, as Honda had ALOT of 1800's sitting in warehouses waiting for somebody to take them home...

Will they bring back the 18000??...Don't know and really don't care...Perfectly happy with my old school carb'd 1300...:cool:

#14 · (Edited)
My own thing !!!

I wanted an 1800 since they first came out, My children were younger than money was tight, At 19 yrs old My first street bike was a 1000cc's, Had quite a few different ones over the years. I wanted a Brand New Bike, Prices were down on it. I had promised myself at 50yrs old I was getting what I wanted. Does it have more power then needed? If you were buying a 68 SS Camaro Would you want a 6 cyl motor or get the biggest V8 it came with? The speed limit is the speed limit does that mean I only need a 4 cyl car cause you think that way. I finally got what I wanted, don't tell me, Ask yourself, did you really get what you wanted? I Hope they do come out with something new with a 1800 in the future I'm glad there aren't as many 1800 riders as there are 1300 riders I like being a little different then the crowd :cool:

#18 ·
I keep hearing that they aren't making the 1800 anymore. I know they stopped for a few years, but the honda website shows 3 1800 models.

http://powersports.honda.com/street/cruisers/vtx1800-line.aspx

I was also in the local stealer a few weeks ago and they had a couple of brand new 1800s on the floor. So, were those just old stock, or did they start making it again??? I didn't look at them that closely, so I don't know what year model they were.

#22 ·
The same reason they stopped making the Valkryie. Bunch of dum- a__ed executives sitting around making stupid decisions like they do typically on a daily basis. That's ok, their stupidity allowed alot of people to get a great bike at a low price. ( compared to retail which is way overpriced on every model anyway)

#25 ·
I have no clue why they stopped production but have heard lots of speculation. I moved up from a 250 Rebel as my first street bike. The 1800 was too high priced and the insurance increase would have been more than I wanted for a "beginner" rider. I had dirt experience but no street and the 1800 was a higher insurance rate, used more gas, and I didn't need that much power to move my 185 pound body.

#30 ·
I have no clue why they stopped production but have heard lots of speculation. I moved up from a 250 Rebel as my first street bike. The 1800 was too high priced and the insurance increase would have been more than I wanted for a "beginner" rider. I had dirt experience but no street and the 1800 was a higher insurance rate, used more gas, and I didn't need that much power to move my 185 pound body.

The crazy thing is here in Oklahoma insurance is actually more expensive for a 1300 than it is an 1800. This first quote I got from progressive was about 600.00 for 12 months. When I went to buy the policy they quoted me 900.00 for the year because they got the 1300 and 1800 mixed up. After re-evaluation of my policy the 1800 was actually cheaper

#29 ·
Yeah, I remember when the Kawi 500 was just too big for city streets. There was no way you could handle that much power in thick traffic. Wipe out was sure to happen. Then things got a little bigger, then bigger, then sizes just exploded. Suzuki stopped several of their bigger bike, though the 109 and I believe the M90 is still in production. Now I see a lot of people starting to get smaller bikes, some down in the 500-750 range. It looks like the choice in smaller bikes is trending like the choice is smaller cars. Why? Who knows other than maybe price?

#33 ·
When fuel prices went through the roof and the economy tanked, fewer people wanted to buy big expensive bikes. Same thing happened in the auto world. That's when I got back into biking, couldn't afford to go to work in the Bronco. Picked up an older BMW K100 til I could get what I really wanted. On the bright side, I got a really nice 04 1800C with 4k in it for what I consider a song(she who must be obeyed isn't so sure tho)

#34 ·
When fuel prices went through the roof and the economy tanked, fewer people wanted to buy big expensive bikes. Same thing happened in the auto world. That's when I got back into biking, couldn't afford to go to work in the Bronco. Picked up an older BMW K100 til I could get what I really wanted. On the bright side, I got a really nice 04 1800C with 4k in it for what I consider a song(she who must be obeyed isn't so sure tho)
You can tell the boss that was a steal of a deal. :cheers:

#35 ·
:coffee:For the same reason they stopped the 2011 GoldWing. To many 2010's not sold and the design team could have time to redesign for 2012. But for the 1800's with the 1300's looking the same except the "N" and "F" and almost as fast and just as reliable, they were selling more. :stirpot:So, the 1800 could just be waiting for a redesign and be brought out as a attitude adjusting super screamer some day like the "F" is already.:cheers:
Saw the new GW and that is so cool. Nice front and back end changes and the 2 color paint job is sweet.:mosh:

#36 ·
When i bought mine it was more of a toss up with 1300 - 1800.
After having the 1800 there was things things better that i didn't realize.
Dual disc front integrated front/rear brakes. EFI that i know Bass will tell
me to stick up my vance hines. The extra 30 hp wasn't the issue.
Heck i don't drink the whole 30 pack at the same time..............Between the two
it was literally a coin toss. My wife won and i didn't loose.

#38 ·
I loved my 1300R. Should never have sold it. I got my "F" for a great price. The 1800's are much heavier than the 1300's. More than I expected. I am going to have to trike it in a few years due to bad knees. The 1800 will be better suited to do that. Otherwise, I think I would rather have a 1300.