Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Help Smoking on Full-Throttle

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Donut 
#1 ·
Ok I have a Smoking issue, I added V&H big shots when I first bought the bike, and did not have any issues, I recently added another shim to the SCAR mod (3 total) and a K&N tornado hi flow intake, I also eliminated the pair valve. Now when I punch it, I mean really punch it I get smoke from the exaust. Under normal operation it does not do it. any ideas guys? this is making me a bit nervous.

#2 ·
Black smoke would indicate a rich condition. Not a real big deal cause engines like to run rich. The combustion chamber will be cooler and you'll have more power. Just as long as it's not too rich. May get lower mpg.

Blue smoke indicates oil burning. The engine will use more oil at high rpm's- especially if run for a long time at high rpm's such as cruising at a very high speed. If you get a little blue smoke at wide open throttle but no other time and your engine is not consuming an abnormal amount of oil you probably shouldn't lose any sleep over it.

White smoke could be steam, water, coolant in the cylinders. Would indicate a leaking head gasket, warped cylinder head or jug.

#4 · (Edited)
If you didn't reroute the crankcase vent line away from the air box it could be sucking oil when you get on it.

I have mine running down under the bike now (lost the filter last week) and I stopped using vast amounts of oil between changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.