Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Black smoke:

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Charlie D 
#1 ·
My bike is putting out black smoke as it is choked and awhile after. Just had to change the plugs. Is it running too rich? How can I make sure the adjustment is correct. Has Cobra Speedster Slants and jetted with what was recommended for the pipes.

Kevin

#5 ·
My bike is putting out black smoke as it is choked and awhile after. Just had to change the plugs. Is it running too rich? How can I make sure the adjustment is correct. Has Cobra Speedster Slants and jetted with what was recommended for the pipes.

Kevin
Yea, mine would run rich with the choke pulled out also.. and foul the plugs and not get full combustion for awhile after pushing in the choke and running on fouled plugs. -- Forget the choke.

This is probably the "rejet" that you need -- http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=1914

#7 ·
Well, I guess I need to stop using the choke. I have been using the choke everytime i start the bike. Woops! So, I guess the only time I need to use the choke is when it is cold outside. Do I just start cranking the bike over then give it gas to start or do I give it gas and then try to start?

THanks,

Kevin

#11 ·
Another good way to clean them is to dip them in some laquer thinner or carb cleaner and then burn them dry with a butane torch. Keep in mind sometimes fuel fouled plugs can't be brought "back to life." I've had good luck running the el Cheapo Champ's RA8HC's gapped at .031 with my intake/exhaust setup. :cheers:

Biddy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.