Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

21" Front Wheel w/RETRO OEM Fender

11K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  Wigit 
#1 ·
yes... a new baby was born today. Finally we had all pieces together and everything went as we thought it will be.
This mod requires a new custom bracket to support the fender. It will be in production in the next few weeks for those who want to get the 21" wheel and maintain the retro look without spending in fender, paint, etc. I'll be back later with more details about it.

The pics were took right after the last bolt was in so everything looks dirty.
In the mean time, please enjoy.

The wheels are RC Components Savage 2007 21" x 3.5" front and 18"x 5.5 x5.5 rear with Metzeler tires

Credit goes to Jose Nieves and Jose Moreno :cheers:

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks really nice!

#5 ·
Wow, gorgeous!!

#9 ·
Actually yes it does. But will take so much writing just to explain a marginal change in performance. The main reason to do this is just because someone told me that this mod CAN NOT be done with the oem retro fender. I saw many riders changing their fenders because they want to add 21" for the look or whatever reason and builders, mechanics and other "wannabes" here in PR states this mod is impossible.
I ask a few months ago in a couple of forums and the answer was more less the same. If I want to spend $2500 in wheels and tires + the cost of a new fender, spacers, paint, coats and labor... go figure. Options for retro riders are 17", 19" or bank assault. Now they can choose a 21" maintaining the retro look, keeping their retro fenders, and stay far from getting a risky matching paint job. Is there a reason why you bought your R? Yes, because you like the R. And why you have to change the R look just because you want bigger wheels?

#11 ·
Thank you for the information Ioshen. I suppose that the benefits on performance are due to the relation between the diameter of the tire and the distant you travel in one rotation of the same, in any case there is noting like a challenge to wakeup the creativity of the human being...:stirpot:

#15 ·
Basically yes. Your info is right. But doing some numbers you'll find that you are going to almost replace tire by wheel when you get a 21" so diameter is not a biggie here. Yes, it changes but a hair. This applies for 19". Having a Retro which is 17" replaced by 21" now you have a notable difference specially on the handling. Kinda stiff because you're raising your front at least 2".

#21 ·
Wow, I really thought both were plastic. Thanks mike.
When you remove the rear seat you can see the weld they leave. They only grind smooth the areas you can see.

#25 ·
That looks pretty good I ve been toying with the idea to do the same but ive been looking into laceing a vt750 front rim to the 1300 hub ,need to investigate a little more to see if this will work will post if it does.until then On with the mods.

#37 ·
yes... a new baby was born today. Finally we had all pieces together and everything went as we thought it will be.
This mod requires a new custom bracket to support the fender. It will be in production in the next few weeks for those who want to get the 21" wheel and maintain the retro look without spending in fender, paint, etc. I'll be back later with more details about it.

The pics were took right after the last bolt was in so everything looks dirty.
In the mean time, please enjoy.

The wheels are RC Components Savage 2007 21" x 3.5" front and 18"x 5.5 x5.5 rear with Metzeler tires

Credit goes to Jose Nieves and Jose Moreno :cheers:
Are you just doing this for yourselves or do you think the mod would work on the 1800 NEO-RETRO? just wondering. I am, in the future, going to try the bigger rear with the mod I saw earlier and info I gathered from this site as well. so the huge front would seem like a good choice. don't you think? lol Very nice work you did there Ioshen

Mike , are'nt our fenders plastic?
I was told the reason for the plastic front is so that if you should for some reason end up on the ground after some unforseen mishap, that its better to have plastic that will crack up and catch the wind and flutter out of your way thus giving you a better chance of just getting road rash and or boken parts rather then a sharp blade coming at you and slicing right thru that leather coat that you happen to love and spilling your blood on the bike and pavement. Everyone knows that blood is a bitch to get out of things. lol
Just my two cets worth.......
:) :harder: :) :hmm2: :hmm2: :hmm2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.