Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Magnet to trip traffic lights

4K views 43 replies 26 participants last post by  Spoiler 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever used one of those magnets they sell that's supposed to help trip the traffic lights? I got stuck at a light today. Fortunately traffic was light enough for me to make my turn.

#7 ·
Cool, there is a light like that coming out of the Public near my house and I always have to go through the parking lot of the restaurant beside it to keep from having to sit and wait for a car or run it. I'll try the kickstand trick next time, thanks DD!

#8 ·
I had one on my Shadow Spirt 1100 for a couple of years and I didn't feel that it helped any. It seemed like the "side stand" down in the loop works, but I didn't like sitting there out of gear. Vehicle that hits my bike at 5 MPH can cause lot of damage to this old fat body of mine. Wishing all well.

#9 ·
I'm one of those that will just go ahead and run the light if it's safe. Can't see some light telling me what I can and can't do. And I'd bet if a cop got you for it, it would be an acceptable excuse to just say it wouldn't turn. Thankfully I've never had to test that theory.:nope:

#15 ·
I just read that thread a couple of days ago, I'll start hunting for it too.

#17 ·
I have 2 rare earth magnets on my VTX and I don't have much of a problem with lights. My wife's VStar950 was having major problems tripping the lights so I ordered her the "Motorcycle magnet" that you see at bike shops and online, it works now for her bike, she doesn't have a problem anymore.

Rare earth magnets are not cheap, so for the $14 bucks or so you pay for the motorcycle magnet, about the same cost as a decent sized set of Rare earth magnets, and the motorcycle one will not pick up chit off the road like my rare earth magnets do LOL

#18 · (Edited)
:icon_susp Look at this: www.themirt.com. Just DON'T!! tell them I told you about it.:nono::icon_susp:icon_susp:icon_susp:icon_susp

This message will self destruct in 46 seconds.........:icon_yike

This one is just a touch more "what I loosely call legal :icon_bs:" than the other one..www.thelightknight.com

#20 ·
Here's an interesting idea (http://www.wikihow.com/Trigger-Green-Traffic-Lights). The starter contains an electric motor so, if you stop the engine and restart it you'll "light up" the magnet already built in thereby (maybe) triping the sensor.

Shouldn't hurt since you are already stuck there a running engine doesn't matter and if doesn't work you are back to square one.

#24 ·
i have some rare earth magnets i got from work. i put 2 on the frame under the bike. i have no trouble changing the light. i can even change the light in the other direction just passing by. The magnets are 3/4" square X 3" long and the will hurt if you are not careful.

#27 ·
+1 but mine are pretty small (about the size of a quarter). There was a light near my house I always got stuck on. I put these on and they changed as normal. And me being me, pulled into the parking lot and did 3 sets of tests (taking them on and off and running through the left turn). It worked when the magnets were on and not when they weren't. I've seen them at our local hardware store but cant remember how much. Hope this helps.:D

#25 ·
I have never had a problem on the X. I do always try to stop over the loop though.

#26 ·
According to Colorado DOT Reg B.S.2u If you send us, in triplicate, locatio, direction, date and time down to the second when you need a light green, we will do that for you, please allow 4-6 weeks for processing ;)

#28 ·
Got a fix to trip the drive-up weight sensor on some of these food joints?
I usually just park and drive in because I gotta store stuff in the bags, but if I want to be quick in and out, I just drive up to the window and order now, if it's empty anyway...

I used to have to be to work before 5 and there was 2 specific traffic lights that absolutely would not change, but it didn't matter if it was the bike or vehicle those lights were on their own system at that early morning... I always had to just take a right at the light, make a quick u-turn and go because there was always cops sitting in the parking lots or gas stations... hated that commute to work.

#29 ·
Just over a year ago SC ABATE finally got the SC legislature to pass into law the 120 Second Stop Rule. If you are a scooter, motorcycle or bicyclist and you have waited at a stop for over 120 seconds you may proceed through the intersection as though it were a 4-way stop - using all laws and regulations that would then apply.

We have had WAY too many crushing deaths of both bikers and bicyclists from behind at intersections and road junctions in our state for me to ever even considering putting the X in neutral, much less put down my kick stand at a stop light!

I'm always in gear and all but living in my rear view mirrors for what may be coming up behind me. I leave a full car length and a half between me and any car in front and, if there is NO car in front, I still stop a half car length from the stop line so I have as many escape routes as I can.

What is a fender bender to a little hybrid will put us in a casket.

Anyway...I'd contact your state ABATE group and see what they are doing about two-wheels having to wait on lights...

#31 ·
One alternative to buying a rare earth magnet is to use the magnets from inside of an old hard drive from a computer. You can probably find a drive in the trash somewhere, and I'm confident (though, not certain) that they are rare earth. They some of the strongest magnets I've come across in a long time.

Also, depending on the model of drive, they will likely have a backing with screw holes that'll make it easier to mount securely.

#32 ·
Last Sunday, the Mrs Spoiler and I rode the bike to breakfast.. three different freaking traffic lights never changed. I had to run three lights just trying to get to the IHOP... so I've been thinking about this, and I bought me two good sized rare earth magnets today off of eBay... coming in from Shanghai in about 3 weeks or so..

I hope I don't stick to any metal grating when I am trying traverse a big bridge or something.. I'll tell you how it works when I get them on.

#34 ·
Last Sunday, the Mrs Spoiler and I rode the bike to breakfast.. three different freaking traffic lights never changed. I had to run three lights just trying to get to the IHOP... so I've been thinking about this, and I bought me two good sized rare earth magnets today off of eBay... coming in from Shanghai in about 3 weeks or so..

I hope I don't stick to any metal grating when I am trying traverse a big bridge or something.. I'll tell you how it works when I get them on.

Be careful when you install them and wear gloves, when they get near metal they will slam on to it rather hard and can leave blood blisters . Don't ask how I know this.:eek:

#33 ·
Incidentally, I should note that I bought the $14 magnet light tripper-dohickey from Cycle Gear one day. I never did install it. If you want to try it just pm me and we'll work something out.

#37 ·
I have one light at Langley AFB that has been a thorn in my side since I started working there. I've contacted everyone in the chain of command that has any dealings with it. One person named Miller that is the All Power One in Civil Engineering, that has stonewalled the request. I guess I could have talked to the 4 Star ACC Commander and put a bug in his ear when he came through. He had more important things on his mind when I met him and his whole family. I told my Flight Chief, If I have to come before him for running that light, I guess I'll have to call my Congressman to make the change. I've talked to the "Safety Chief" for the base but it is all status quo. It only takes 15 minutes for the CE department to tune the wire loop in the road. The City of Hampton has corrected all the lights I've brought to their attention. So I run the light when the lane is clear.

#39 ·
In Ca If it cycles through with out changing and it is safe to proceed you may do so. I also by chance talked to the man in charge of setting the signal sensors in Hemet where I live and he said that setting the sensitivity can be kinda tricky, and if they don't detect your bike let me know and I will adjust the sensitivity so that it will in the future.

The following link will give you some useful tips
How to Trigger Green Traffic Lights

what we have here is
the Dipole loop - Put both wheels directly on one of the sawcuts at either the right or the left. If you're still not detected, lean slightly towards the center.

/\----------/\
l l---------- l-l
lll lllllllll lllllllllll

and another similar thread
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279466

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.