Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Motorcycle Stand

16K views 60 replies 36 participants last post by  bill_rides 
#1 ·
I am looking and wanted to buy a Motorcycle Stand...is need advice of a brand, best function and price. Any suggestion is appreciated...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

#4 ·
+ 1,000 on the PepsX Stand. Second best damn purchase after my J&S Bike Jack.
Quality built with quality material. I had my 1300C on it for valve adjustment, and had my 1800C on it for general cleaning.

While sitting on the stand checked under the bike for access to oil drain bolts and filter, both were clear and accessible.

#6 · (Edited)
Here is another thread if you want to built a more sturdy wooden stand:

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=50801&highlight=Wooden+bike+stand&page=4. Post #109.

P.S. Always remember to secure your front wheel/forks before lifting the bike because it will turn on you as soon as you lift the bike. Also make sure you compensate for weight distribution for the front or back if you removed any of the wheels while the bike is on the lift or stand.:patriot:

#8 ·
I have the Pepsx. A rock solid stand and beats the hell out of ME trying to build one.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the input...but all I really need is to make the bike stand sturdy upright ...jack not needed as of yet....willvthe pepsx stand do the job with no jack?....as for the wood ...I am not that technical with carpentry...anyways thanks for the input once again

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I use the Harbor Freight Motorcycle jack and I've seen others using the Sears brand motorcycle jack. You need the motorcycle jack to lift the bike safely under the swingarms! I also have one of Jeremy's stands and love it!! I got one of the early ones or I would purchase one of his that have the castors (wheels) on it as that would make it much easier to move around the garage in the winter months! Don't know about others, but my garage seems to fill up with more crap in the winter!!! :)

#16 ·
#20 ·
I made one of 4x4 but damn if it wasnt too heavy to lug around and no where to put it after.

If I can get my hands on some scrap square tubing, I will attempt to weld one. Though I don't know how to weld LOL .. after that fails, then I will shell out the $135 for a pepsx.

#26 ·
Pretty easy to put wheels on the wooden stand. 360 degree rubber wheel platforms at Ace Hardware - $6 ea - $25 total. I'm thinking about adding them to my stand. Trying to decide if it makes the stand too high - adds about 3 inches.

I have found that an oil change is simpler, easier and faster to do just on the side stand. I can have it done before I can get the bike jacked up and on the stand.

#37 ·
I made a wooden stand. I purchased a furniture dolley (floor mover) and took it apart. It had a capacity rating of 1000# so I took the casters off and the rubber pads off it. I viewed the other wooden stands on Cafe and started to build. I wanted a stand to help me work on the X and also to store it for the winter. It saves a lot of space for storing it in the garage. :D So far so good and it rolls smoothly across the garage floor.

#40 ·
Question.... why do we need a stand if we have to jack it up anyway?
The Harbor Freight jack that was on sale (and still is I think) for $59.... Coop has that one and we used it to check the tail light wiring. LOTS easier with the bike up on the floor. Can't you just do all your work on the jack? Why the need for a stand?

#49 ·
Question.... why do we need a stand if we have to jack it up anyway?
The Harbor Freight jack that was on sale (and still is I think) for $59.... Coop has that one and we used it to check the tail light wiring. LOTS easier with the bike up on the floor. Can't you just do all your work on the jack? Why the need for a stand?
In case you decide to tear it down this far.....

Summer 2010 it spent two months on my wood stand during it's repaint...Decided while it was torn down to go darkside as well....

#41 ·
Stand stand is sturdier than leaving it on a jack. Also allows you to get under the bike where the jack blocks you, if you need to get under there. Stand also allows you to get closer and easier to work on both sides without running into the jack. To each it's own!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.