Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

First Oil Change

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BG-Pete 
#1 ·
hey everyone, ok i have seen the diff posts about when to change the oil so tell me what mileage is correct on this bike. i have just over 500 miles and it has been in the 100s here in GA. the dealer says 600 the book says 4000 and i am wanting to go synthetic just like my trucks. all replies would be appreciated. thanks James:choppersm

#2 ·
Ah yes, I remember my first oil change all those many years ago, seems like only yesterday. I changed mine at six hundred miles then every three thousand miles since. I still use Honda filters but use whatever brand name oil that happens to be on sale, which any more seems not too many. I try to use Penzoil when possible but am not averse to using whatever is available. Just my two cents with a penny and a half change!:cool:

#3 ·
Book does say 4,000 on the 1800. I switched to Amsoil 10-40 at 2,600. From what I read and hear, switching at 600 is ok too. I only changed over a week or so ago, but I do notice the shifting much smoother and the infamous clunk is a little less noticeable too. From other threads, your engine also runs about 10-12 degrees cooler with synthetic.

I also changed the final drive to synthetic at the same time.

#4 ·
thanks BG pete i just changed it today but i went with the honda oil for the first one and i will go synthetic next time. i have another question about the clutch. i ride in a lot of heavy stop and go traffic and sometimes when i am in first and coasting with the cluth pulled in if i let it out to quickly while moving i will hear a little clunk. is that normal due to the fact that the bike is rolling? thanks

#5 ·
Yeah pretty much. When I'm coasting, I stay in 2nd unless I am absolutely crawling. Then I let her out real easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.