Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Loud Shift from 1st to 2nd?

3K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  billcarr 
#1 ·
I am new to the world of VTX but ride with 5 guys that have all had them for a while. My 2002 1800C only has 5600 miles, runs great, but shifting from 1st into second is really loud! All of the other gears sound fine. I have looked to make sure nothing is loose and therefore clanking around and all looks normal. None of my buddies bikes do this and one of theirs is identical ride.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks
Chad

#10 ·
My 1300 will do the same if I'm running the gears out (high rev). Wishing you well.

#14 ·
Hi guys, my '06 1300C does the same thing if I'm quickly accelerating. Glad to know I'm not alone in this lol... but I have 12,500 mi on this bike, I've personally put 2,500 on it myself since I purchased it. It is really just a 'breaking in' type thing?? I've changed the oil 3 times (it was absolutely FILTHY like black sludge the first time I dumped it up out, was so mad almost considered taking it back to the 'dealer' but everything seemed ok cept for the clanging so I didn't) I opened it up and checked the whole assembly but I didn't see any excessive wear or misalignments.. so before I drive myself crazy.. is it really NORMAL? and what actually causes it?
Thanks, Safe riding all.
-J

#15 ·
Hi guys, my '06 1300C does the same thing if I'm quickly accelerating. Glad to know I'm not alone in this lol... but I have 12,500 mi on this bike, I've personally put 2,500 on it myself since I purchased it. It is really just a 'breaking in' type thing?? I've changed the oil 3 times (it was absolutely FILTHY like black sludge the first time I dumped it up out, was so mad almost considered taking it back to the 'dealer' but everything seemed ok cept for the clanging so I didn't) I opened it up and checked the whole assembly but I didn't see any excessive wear or misalignments.. so before I drive myself crazy.. is it really NORMAL? and what actually causes it?
Thanks, Safe riding all.
-J
100% normal and it's gonna make noise at the 1st-2nd (and back down from 2nd-1st) forever...I had a 1976 Goldwing that did the same thing...:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.