Slow speed maneuvers and your clutch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow speed maneuvers and your clutch

Slow speed maneuvers and your clutch

I have watched the "Ride Like a Pro" vidio and wenever they're doing slow speed maneuvers they are "slipping the clutch" and using the rear brake.I'm concerned about wear on the clutch plates. Dose the VTX have a wet clutch? If it dose it won't be a problem, but if it isn't a wet clutch...

She's a soaker... slip away!

Bassdude404 is offline The guitar, not the fish!
    Ohio Riders Group
    Michigan Riders Group
    Indiana Riders Group
    Illinois Riders Group
    Yes they're slipping the clutch and riding the rear brake....And yes the VTX has a wet clutch setup...Which is why we say don't use "energy conserving" oil in the engine...

Slipping is good and a big help at low speeds try to practice once a week in a parking lot

Quote Originally Posted by adirondack cruiser View Post
    I have watched the "Ride Like a Pro" vidio and wenever they're doing slow speed maneuvers they are "slipping the clutch" and using the rear brake.I'm concerned about wear on the clutch plates. Dose the VTX have a wet clutch? If it dose it won't be a problem, but if it isn't a wet clutch...
    as they said, wet....if you didn't already, do Glen's CPR mod. It will help make those slow maneuvers a heck of a lot easier.

http://glensvtxgarage.com/clutchpullrelief.html
    Last edited by 2-Wheeler; 02-11-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Charlie D is online now Senior Member
    Washington State Riders Group
    Oregon Riders Group
    I don't slip mine just use the gas and brake and I can crawl at a snail pace.

Darkside helps a ton for slow speed.

Slip that clutch, you wont hurt a thing. Practice and you'll have it down before ya know it.

A lot of folks gripe and say the 1800 is way to heavy at slow maneuvers. Most of them have never owned one. Doesn't matter how big the bike is, rider makes the difference. Slip the clutch and use the rear brake and any bike regardless of size can handle good at slow speed. It just takes practice.

JBas83 is offline Road Name: Lethal Georgia Riders Group
    I do it all the time...I am guessing it helps I have a car tire on the back but I have gotten to the point at stop signs and stuff I dont ever put my feet down....I will say though I changed my brakes today and I have really worn down the back brake...haha

I have read about using the rear brake before in slow speed situations. How does that help? I am not sure how you would use your brake and slip the clutch at the same time. Do you guys have a link that explains this?
    I am just really curious on this and I am always looking for tips to handle my 1800 Beast!!

I don't know of anythig on line but there could be something on You Tube if you search for it. My wife got me the "Ride Like A Pro" vidio for my birthday and it has a lot of great excersizes to maneuver your big bike at low speed. They call it the "friction Zone" when they are letting the clutch partway out, holding the REAR brake on (NEVER the front!) and keeping the rpm's up to around 1100 to 1500.
    I can't wait to start trying this, these guys are turning full dress Harleys and scraping their pegs at low speeds! I know they make it look easy but I can't wait to start trying some of their methods.
    If, for a last resort you could always buy the vidio, I have #5 and of coarse they say to get the full benifit you should see 1 thru 4 first. I do like the vidio so maybe I'll try another...Christmas is comming... You can't put a price on safty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information