Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

oil change

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Shutterbug 
#1 ·
Hey, gonna change my oil today, but have no idea how much oil goes in my bike, (need owner's manual) refer's to other post. thanks Joe

#2 ·
4 qts if you change the filter. Just did mine a week ago.

#3 ·
+1 lzt0d2

The manual states 3.9 quarts, but if you just pour it fast, not allowing the oil to drain from the bottle, it will end up just right. Here's a little other info on after market oil and filters that will fit our bikes, if you need it. The ones I use are highlighted in red:

Synthetic Oil

* Mobil 1 MX4T (also called “Racing 4T”)
* Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40

Oil Filters

* Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10
* Bosch 3323, about $6
* Purolator PL14610, about $6
* NAPA Gold 1356
* Carquest 85356
[FONT=&quot]* WIX 51356
* Deutsch D-370
* AC Delco PF-2057
* Motorcraft Long Life FL-821
* STP S-02867[/FONT]

#5 ·
stick with Honda oil and filter is its still under warenty, that way if any hting goes worng they cant blame you. your only gonna save a few bucks using after market stuff any way

oil change is a zen experiance if you have beer (-:\
sit back and

#6 ·
stick with Honda oil and filter is its still under warenty, that way if any hting goes worng they cant blame you. your only gonna save a few bucks using after market stuff any way

oil change is a zen experiance if you have beer (-:\
sit back and watch it drain.

#7 ·
Oil changes are good...so what mileage does everyone use? I got mine at the first 600 mile mark also got maintenance checkup, dealer charged me $350 bucks for both. So when should "I" change the oil next? Book says 8000 miles, but much as i've been riding mine I would think about every 3k or more?

#9 ·
Local shop here charges $25 bucks an hour for maintenance, the 600 mile checkup is not a warrenty item, so everything the did during the checkup was counted hour wise. Thats why the "I" in the post...i'm doing all non warrenty work on my bike from now on. I can see why everyone is calling them "stealers" now, guess I could use my vet grant to take a motorcycle maintenance degree or something eh?

#10 ·
Doesn't the sound of 8,000 miles scare you. If it does like it did me I changed it way before that, you will sleep a lot better at night.. I like to change every 3,000, or sooner depending how often you ride and how hard. some synthicts? maybe more miles, but you still should change the filter. Also, under warranty keep your receipts and log the miles in your owners manual. My dealer let me change the oil under warranty as long as i showed proof and honda filt/oil.

#11 ·
I don't ride as much as some of the others on this forum. I changed mine at 600, 3500 and 5000 miles. I did my 5000 mile change last week and switched to sythetic...made a really big difference on my shifting; a lot smoother. I've also noticed that it's running cooler. I used to get back from a ride and noticed that my fan would kick on, while I was backing the bike into the garage. That doesn't happen any longer.

#12 ·
I've heard pro's and con's with synthetics, dealer won't put synthetic in, they don't carry them. But I could take some in and they will use it with the Honda filter.

#18 ·
Razor, it's time to move to synthetic oil. Any brand of motorcycle synthetic oil 10-40 weight is fine, I happen to use MobilOne MX4T (now called Racing 4T) which I buy at super Walmart for $8.23 a bottle. I run the oil for 8,000 miles and change the filter at 4,000 then when I hit 8,000 miles everything gets changed. The Honda oil filters are junk, they too go out to the lowest bidder just like the Dunlop tires. I use the Purolator Pure One PL14610 in my X and I use Pure One filters in my Lincoln and the wife's car as well. At Advanced Auto parts, they are on sale for $4.88 each.

#15 ·
What do you guys use to get under the bike for the drain plug? I am thinking of trying a cat liter pan but not sure..... THanks for the help, DJ

#16 ·
I made ramps for the front and rear wheels by stacking three 2"x8"s together and 4 stacked for the kick stand, an idea I got from one of the posts on this site. The added clearance gives you plenty of room to remove the filter easily and fit an oil drain pan or even a litterbox if thats what you have.

#17 · (Edited)
I use a large rectangle aluminum disposable roasting pan...say 20" x 12". Like the "FULL DEEP STEAM PAN" shown in

http://www.wesellcoffee.com/page21.html

Price here is $1.05. I plan on getting more at wally world next time I need to change oil. Fits right under the bike without jacking it up or putting it on ramps. It was left over from a take out baby back rib dinner. Don't know what the cost in the store

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.