Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Question about rejetting my carb

8K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Charlie D 
#1 ·
I've got the cobra speedster slash down that were put on by a dealership. I assuming that they rejected the carb when those were put on.
I recently installed the Arlen Ness big air sucker and I'm getting a slight sluggish response from the throttle.

Is rejetting the carb the best option?
What is the best kit to get? What is the deal with the different stages (I, II, III)? What is the SCAR mod? Should I do that also?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

#2 ·
The scar mod is basically a cheap alternative to re-jetting, which can be used when slightly increasing the airflow of the system.
The Arlen Ness kit opens it up to much more air flow, so you would be best to install the Factory Pro kit, and not do the Scar mod.
There is no difference between the stage I kit and the stage III kit when it comes to these bikes, they contain the same parts, it's just labeled different from a marketing standpoint.

#3 ·
They probably re-jetted the carb, even tho it was not necessary.. Dealerships do this to make money, playing on the "if you add pipes, you have to re-jet" thing.

While this is true with Air Cooled Bikes, it is NOT true for Liquid Cooled Bikes (us!). Pipes dont matter to our bikes.

Air Intake does.

Youve got a couple options.. You could go back to stock and do a SCAR Mod. This is perfectly acceptable for Stock Air Intake Systems.

However, if you plan on changing your Intake sometime down the road, you might as well get the Factory Pro Stage 3 Jet Kit. With that kit, you have the jets to do any intake you would like.

-Gonz

#7 ·
Beating a dead horse

I know that its probably been discussed already but im having problems as well. I did the scar mod with a spike cone air filter and did the pair valve mod at the same time and still havent gotten the a/f under control. I tried a few different jets and went back to a stock air box and it has less hiccups/occurrences. Unfortunately there are no trustworthy mechanics that will touch a carb around here and i refuse to use the honda dealer local to me (thieves). I currently have to run the bike at about 1/8 choke and my idle screw higher than it used to be. Bottom line- i dont know what else to do. :banghead:

#8 ·
I know that its probably been discussed already but im having problems as well. I did the scar mod with a spike cone air filter and did the pair valve mod at the same time and still havent gotten the a/f under control. I tried a few different jets and went back to a stock air box and it has less hiccups/occurrences. Unfortunately there are no trustworthy mechanics that will touch a carb around here and i refuse to use the honda dealer local to me (thieves). I currently have to run the bike at about 1/8 choke and my idle screw higher than it used to be. Bottom line- i dont know what else to do. :banghead:
read this link and it should cover it all for you.
http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=74867

#10 ·
when I shift hard with mine I can bark the care tire in 2nd and 3rd that is what a high flow will do for you with proper jetting.

Heck I have even had it sidestep 3 foot the get with it in 3rd

205/70/15 so about 3 or 4 times the surface on the road over a bike tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.