popped a wheelie?!.....?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: popped a wheelie?!.....?

Hmm2 popped a wheelie?!.....?

okay, im sure some of you may remember all the mechanical problems ive had with my X. anyways, i finally got all those problems squared away, and have finally been able to enjoy some real VTX riding.

anyways, i went riding with a couple buddies last night for a few hours, and now i have a question. is it possible to pop a wheelie on a cruiser???

let me set up the scenario, us 3 guys come to a red light, and we are all sharing 1 lane (we dont normally ride 3 side by side, but only because we came to a stop). the guy on my left is on a 06 boulevard M50, im in the middle, and the guy on my right is riding a vstar 1100. long story short, we decide to race them from the green light since my bike is finally performing properly. GREEN- i start to hammer on the throttle, and i just glance over to see the guy driving the vstar on my right, and i could swear on everything i saw that bike jump in the air. not just fork extension, but a leap! anyways, i tell myself i was just imaging it and i shift into 2nd and blow past the M50.

woohoo, i win (what a surprise). but when the vstar 1100 catches up, he looks like he has seen a ghost. this is what he said, and i quote.. "did you see that s*$&?! i just popped a wheelie!"

is this possible? im still replaying the event in my mind over and over again. i just dont think its possible. but both our minds cant be playing tricks on us. so under perfectly ideal circumstances, could it have really happened? popping the clutch in 1st at high RPM's?

let me know what you think. i just wanna know if im losing my mind or not. lol

Retro Rich is offline Just Bring It!
    Washington State Riders Group

Thumbs up Yep, Sure Can

You certainly can pop a wheelie on a cruiser; I've seen a guy on a VTX 1800 do it. It all depends on a lot of factors (like weight of the rider, tire grip and conditions, mechanical condition of the bike and it's set-up, how quick you pop the clutch and hammer the throttle, etc., etc.). A v-star 1100 has a fairly low weight, and if he has modified it at all (like with the Max Air predator kit and re-jetted it) or not and if he isn't a very big guy it definitely could get some air under the front tire.

Cruisers aren't really supposed to be doing them, but it can be done. With the sheer weight of them, you're asking for trouble if you start trying to do it.

By the way, if you run with any guys trying to do a "stoppie" on a cruiser...stop riding with them because they're just plain stupid.

lol I have seen Honda and Harley bageos do them I have tried to get im up but no go.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrado_driver View Post
    lol I have seen Honda and Harley bageos do them I have tried to get im up but no go.
    I had the same problem. Wife made me go to the doctor, and he took care of it.

There's an older couple here in MD that have a heavily modded Road King that will pull wheelies through 3rd gear (I've seen him do it with his wife on the bike). He actually put a bar on the darn thing and it shoots sparks going down the road when he pops a wheelie.

Crazy stuff!

Epic Ride

I've tried a few times on my VTX and gave up thinking it's just not the kind of bike for pulling the front end up. A few months ago, I was one of the riders on the Speed Ch. show called Epic Ride. We rode Vicotry Bikes from the LA area to the Bay area. Rick Johnson and I did our best to get the front end up when we were riding up the steep streets in SF. Rick was the first to get his up. I eventualy got a few inches but super hard to do. If you don't know Rick Johnson is a 7 time AMA Motocross Champion! Later that day we went to the drags with the Victory's and Rick did another wheelie in the pit area but almost lost it. I think they showed that one on the TV show. Anyway, these hogs are just that, hogs. Not the best bikes for tricks...

I've done a couple but it's not good on the front forks.

well i guess with a heavily modded bike, or a light rider, it could happen. but this was neither. the bike just has some pipes. and the rider is a big guy. 6'2 and nearly 300 lbs. plus the bike has a lowering kit on it. so all that considered, do you still think it could happen? lol. even with as big as that guy is, its remarkable how quick that bike is. he easily keeps up with me, and i weigh 160 lbs. crazy stuff. that 1100 yamy has alot of muscle to it.

I would advise against it. takes alot of throttle and quick release of the cluch,it goes up fast and comes down hard. Couple weeks ago a guy up here was playin around with it, put the 1800 over backwards and it wound up in the shop for repairs. If you must try it keep your foot on the rear break.

I have had my 1800 come up on me when I really cranked on the throttle. Kind of a rush.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information